DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help needed on areas

Posted by lynn.c - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by greeny-687262 - 9 years ago

Hi Lynn

as graham said i would think that Limassol would be a better choice. i have lived here for 7 years and have not found the fact that i have very minimal greek a problem. limassol is also a year round resort but with many more job opportunities. there are many private clinics and they do employ all nationalities. be aware though that the salaries are much less than the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynn.c - 9 years ago

Thank you for both of the above replies. the reason why i choose pafos i was told it was all year round so thought employment may be more likely to find . i intend to try to learn greek and at the moment are looking in to this . i am not fussy what i do for a job i long as i get one so social work may be out of the question. Also can anyone tell me how do ex pats who do not speak greek manage for employment what do they do how do they manage all replies really welcome i really need to get a clear picture

thank you again

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Why Pafos? I'm not being funny - you may have very good reasons for choosing that area - but in your position I would certainly be more inclined to go for Limassol, as you will stand far more chance of getting work. As Achilleas says, though, your opportunities are limited if you don't have a decent grasp of Greek. Having said that, Limassol has a number of private institutions which may have suitable vacancies. A friend of mine who speaks very little Greek and doesn't read or write it works as a nurse in a private clinic, for instance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

You will have many answers here I believe, but I want to draw your point to one thing - the language of Cyprus is Greek, not English. That means that the majority of the jobs available here are in Greek. The exception to this is the Tourist Industry - waiters, cleaners, etc., which always want the cheapest labour. Don't expect, or demand that English to be the main language here in Cyprus.
Paphos, Larnaca and the Famagusta area rely on the tourist industry so that's where the majority of jobs are. Limassol has may other businesses and Nicosia is the capital and main business hub. Not knowing Greek will limit the amount of jobs that you will be able to apply for.
Your child will have difficulty in the first year as the state run schools are all in Greek, but many children have come over and started in a state school and now are bi-lingual and happy in the schools.
Renting before you buy is the best option to see if you like it over here.
There are a couple of areas where there is a high concentration of UK ex-pats. If all you do is stay with these people and not try to integrate yourself into the local community and meet Cypriots, etc., then you will be missing out on the best part of Cyprus.
If I was you, I would come to Cyprus and have a look at all the towns and see where you like the best - even Nicosia is only 20 minutes for the sea if thats an important factor for you.