DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

how to go about getting speed bumps put in

Posted by babymumma - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by babymumma - 9 years ago

sorry Andrew but I didn't for one second suggest the speed bumps were put ON the hill. simply that there needs to be some kind of traffic control along the main road. speed bumps are meant to slow traffic down not protect pedestrians?

The only reason any bystanders or pedestrians weren't hurt is because there is no pavement on the side of the road where both cars crashed. it was opposite a kiosk and so could have easily hit the people outsie tehre if the cars had spun the other way.

I don't know what you have against speed bumps Andrew but if you have any other suggestions as to how to slow the traffic down on this particular road please do share.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

This thread has me fascinated. The original posting detailed two accidents which resulted in injuries to the vehicle occupants, not pedestriands and bystanders. Road bumps are primarily to safeguard pedestrians and residents, surely?? Road bumps on a steep hill as described could well serve as ski jumps and lead to more aerobatic displays rather than improve safety. More street lighting in Kolossi - hope he put in environment friendly lighting so as not to add to the light pollution that so far, thank goodness, cyprus's street lighting keeps to a minimum - though the trend is changing and we are getting more and more light pollution.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peeps-676557 - 9 years ago

I gathered over 100 signatures from residents on our development and from many local cypriot houses to ask for speed humps to be put in the road outside our house, it is a 30 limit, yet they speed up to 100. I had no reply from the council office, so i went up to ask about it and was told that as it is not an "old people" area or near a school they wouldnt be taking any action. So good luck in your efforts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by like2shop - 9 years ago

Hi, they usually only put speed pumps where there are schools, however if you have serious problems there then I suggest you team up with your neighbors try to find someone who can speak & write Greek and make a formal request. Any accidents that took place and you have records of include them in your request. Pedestrian crossings need to have lights otherwise most Cypriots don’t bother to stop, many times I have had to signal with my lights or my hand to the opposite side for cars to stop.

Sorry no image available
Posted by babymumma - 9 years ago

AndrewMoni it's nothing to do with the local driving I can handle that it's not actually as bad as people think

It's the fact that that's a busy main road there's lots of new shops going up so plenty of pedestrians (including children) walking around and cars tavelling WAY over the speed limited up a hill around a corner... I'm sure the fire station up the road has had enough of coming down to sort the crashes out too.

luvcyprus thank you I will try and get to the municiplatily and speak to the mukhtar about it !

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 9 years ago

We wanted speed bumps placed in our road in Kolossi and saw the Mukhtar and within 2 months there they were all in and as a bonus he put in some extra street lighting as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

To start a campaign for a specific local problem I would have thought the best place would be all your neighbours living in the same place, and get a petition with all signed up. Anyone outside the locality is unlikely to support it - after all, why should they?? Speed bumps damage cars - and in the UK they have had to start reducing their heights in many localities and put in place zig zag bollardy type things to slow traffic down and create traffic queues instead which then need pedestrian crossings putting in to allow people to cross through the slow moving traffic which has all bunched up ..... and so it goes on .... and on ... and on .....

If it's the local standard of driving that is also getting at you - then the only way to improve that in the short term is to not live on the island!!