DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Job offers

Posted by cyprustk - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mazer - 6 years ago

Doesn't seem relevant somehow up here in the Famagusta area. I am learning Greek I am told. I cannot say I can tell the difference but my Cypriot friends tell me that Cypriots tend to shorten their words from the original Greek but again I am no expert. What I will say is that adverts up here not only require Greek and English but also Russian and sometimes only English and Russian. Shortens the odds somewhat!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprustk - 6 years ago

I totally agree with you!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tom brown133 - 6 years ago

A lot of the work in Cyprus is undertaken by poorly paid people who are desperate for work vis: Indians, Sri Lankans, Philipinos, Roumanians etc. Just check out the applicants for ANY job posted here.

Most of these jobs 1) Cypriots won't do and 2) they are poor working and pay conditions. IMHO If a lot of what I term the "slave workers " ( 10 hours for €20 - 25 ) left Cyprus, the place would collapse.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprustk - 6 years ago

I was right at the Greek part as I am being employed at a reputable recruitment agency. A lot of Greeks are coming over now and more employees prefer them instead of foreigners. Why? Because they are familiar with the customs and they speak the language. Greek Cypriots tend to want to work only were they want and are not satisfied with the "little". Believe me we get daily emails from people who just don't want to be employed anywhere else that what they want, so they stay unemployed for a long time. They are a lot of foreigners and Greeks that just grab the opportunity and get any kind of job and they are happy that they even have one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackiemou@live.com - 6 years ago

Glad you got a job but your wronge about speaking Greek because many greek cypriots are now unemployed. Keep you fingers crossed that your new employer pays you, because there is alot of that happening at the moment .best wishes

Sorry no image available
Posted by tom brown133 - 6 years ago

Patricia is right I will add also nepotism is a large factor in the equation.

Locals tend to favour / employ friends and family then cheap 3rd world or former eastern block labour irrespective of the ability to do the job.

Being involved in the print and promotions industry we see it everywhere with poor grammar, copy and spelling mistakes in English advertising. BTW - Greek is also difficult for the locals, I got 5 to look at a translation and they all differed immensely.

Tom

99 106 727

Sorry no image available
Posted by patricia papamichael - 6 years ago

HI ITS NOT ALL TRUE I HAVE 2 SON IN LAWS AND CANNOT GET JOBS FOR OVER A YR NOW.AND 1 IS A ELECTRIONS ,MY SON WORKS WITH PLASTER BOARD ETC ,A FRIEND OF MINE JUST GAVE UP HIS SHOP AFTER 35 YRS AS A CARPENTER NO WORK ,AND THEIR ARE CYPRIOT AND SPEEK BOTH ENGLISH/ GREEK .

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN LUCKY TO GET WORK.

PATRICIA

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprustk - 8 years ago

please pm if you want to give you the web address

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by Cyp08 - 8 years ago

Can you list these sites for us and other people, please...............