DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Lidl

Posted by Miaandgrace - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gazzaga - 9 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Wingnut-669538 - 9 years ago

doesnt make sense... they got the license to build a supermarket so it means that they are licensed to operate it also

Sorry no image available
Posted by Limassol T - 9 years ago

I believe the issue is that they have had soem licensing issues, as the local supermarkets are doing everything they can to stop them opening!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wingnut-669538 - 9 years ago

the Limassol Lidl has been built and ready and sitting idle for well over 2 years.

Even the shelving has been installed.

it's on franklin roosevelt next door to Keo factory

dont understand the Lidl strategy myself. surely this must be prime time to open a discount retailers ? they must be losing money hand over fist.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Dave,

Limassol will be one of the first 8 stores to open in Cyprus, you can see the list in my previous post.

As for Paralimni I think Lidl were surprised at the speed with which that store got planning and was ready for use. They couldn't just open that one store economically it would be suicide. Lidl want to open the first 8 stores within a few months of each other - I guess weeks would be prefered - as they will have in place the logistics to supplying 8 outlets.

The Lidl on Tomb of the Kings Road is coming on nicely and I haven't heard of any delays elsewhere. So one assumes the target date for all 8 to be open is still on for September.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by dave giddy - 9 years ago

hi. does anyone know what is going on with Lidl in Paralimni? The building has been ready to go for about 2 years and at one time they were recruiting staff.I had heard there were also plans for 1 here in Limassol but can't find out anything more

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi there,

Lidl plan to open around 15 stores in Cyprus. Seven sites have already been identified and construction has begun on most of these with Hadjidemosthjenous Developers being the lead company. Lidl are looking for suitable land to build the remaining 8 stores. Their main criteria, after planning and land costs, is that each store will be in an area of where no less than 5000 people live. Their confirmed sites are Larnaka, Limassol, Pafos, Kokkinotrimithia, Ormidia, Paralimni, Nicosia & Protaras I believe they are recruiting staff for these stores at the moment.

I'll leave you to guess where the other locations are likely to be...

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by JH-667505 - 9 years ago

M Gee is correct - Lidl's on ToK road.

I have heard Orphanides in CoralBay and I think they have a little more sway than Phil:-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miaandgrace - 9 years ago

I doubt it . :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kbas-692800 - 9 years ago

do you think phillipo would allow it to happen-he is quite an influential man in peyia-so i cannot see lidl/orphs being the shops to fill our peyia shopping mall-maybe thorntons, hmv,river island and pc world-they wud do for starters