Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Living Costs

Posted by wilfmoralee - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sarah_Pyrgos - 8 years ago

With regard to the medical costs, before you leave the UK, contact the Inland Revenue and they will calculate a period of time where the the UK NHS will cover you for free medical cover. I did this recently and was able to get 12 months. Once here you have to pay in to the social insurance system for 3 months before you can use the equivalent to the NHS. The inland revenue specify that you must notify them once you have a job but I would not do this until you have achieved the 3 month qualifying period. I contacted the inland revenue after I arrived and it delayed everything so try and do it before you leave.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackiemou@live.com - 8 years ago

look at approx 3500 a month if you have kids at private school

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprustk - 8 years ago


As far as I know if you have the European medical card you are entitled to free medical in Cyprus and if you are a resident here you can apply for the Cypriot medical card also.

But if you do not have the necessary documents with you of course they will deny free medical treatment is simple as that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pdobbo - 8 years ago

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the comment made by Cyprustk:
"As far as medical Insurance if you are an EU citizen you are entitled here for free medical treatments and medicines from public hospitals."
You are ONLY entitled to free medical treatments etc if you are a short-term visitor and have a European Health Insurance Card, this is meant to apply to short-term visitors with illnesses occurring during their visit (I believe the maximum stay is 3 months). I have known the hospital accounts department to ask for sight of air-tickets etc as proof of status as a visitor.
As a resident, you are not entitled to free medical care unless you are either employed AND paying Social Insurance Contributions into the Cyprus system, or, you are retired with a UK pension (and they will ask for proof of your pension). You will then be issued with a Cyprus Health Card, without this card you will not get free medical care.
I personally know of two families who are trying to pay off hefty medical bills incurred after being hospitalised in Limassol General following motor accidents, they mistakenly thought the treatment would be free, and had not bothered with private medical insurance.
This is from the ec-Europa web site, note the references to short stay and temporary stay:
The European Health Insurance Card

Before travelling to another EU country for a short stay - whether on holiday, a business trip or studies - you should get a European Health Insurance Card from your statutory health insurer. This will enable you to get any health care you might need during your trip.

The European Health Insurance Card proves your entitlement to health care. It is the physical proof that you are insured in an EU country.

If you fall unexpectedly sick during a temporary stay abroad, the European Health Insurance Card gives you the same right to statutory health care as people insured in the country you are in, so you can visit a local doctor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hello Wilf,

Suggest you need to make the food/petrol catagory separate items.

You know how much you're spending on food in the UK per month so that can easily be transferred to your budget for Cyprus. Once here shop around and you can eat very well and not spend as much as you are at the moment in the UK.

As for petrol, motoring expenses, this is likely to be one of the hardest to set money aside for until you have a few more answers. For example: have you budgeted for buying a car here or are you planning to import one - not forgetting insurance etc. Also what is your estimate for mileage once you're here, indeed will you need a car to begin with? This all depends on where you plan to live, work and, if your childen are school age, the school run etc.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Catsnip - 8 years ago

The €39 for phone and tv is with a cable provider and not available in most areas outside main town's.
Cyta charge €13.93 a month plus 15% vat for phone line rental. Internet with Cyta is €16 month plus vat for Home 2000 service subscription plus DSL Access Home 2000 subscription of €22 month plus vat. Total €51.93 plus vat without any TV.
Car insurance is on the up and costs vary depending on cover, mileage and value of the car, typically fully comp with protected for my 4 year old Opel Meriva 1.6 auto is €450 this includes breakdown recovery and loan car.
If you rent a house with a pool you need to up the water and electric charges and think about who cleans it and pays for chemicals. If in a complex with a shared pool don't forget service charges for the pool and communal areas.
Don't forget you will need to check for house insurance, if renting the landlord might have Buildings insurance but is unlikely to have contents for your stuff. Crime is increasing and contents insurance in some areas is very sensible, it does not normally cover accidental damage or new for old, you have to specify that requirement and are charged accordingly, not all insurers will offer it.
Don't forget about school charges if going private. If sending children to local school's then they will need extra Greek lessons if not already fluent and for both schools you need to cover uniform and books.
As said before you need to think about air conditioning costs to cool in Summer and heating in winter. Depends on the house and system and your level of comfort, but typically you can add at least another €500 for both heating and cooling in most houses occupied by 4 people all year round. Your €80 is not unreasonable but fridges, washing machines and dishwashers soon eat this amount up.
You will also have to pay some fees to immigration to obtain the necessary paperwork to be able to work legally. The attached link explains more about health cover http://www.moh.gov.cy/moh/moh.nsf/All/B91ED7F45192CCF2C225702A00239BDC/$file/HEALTH%20CARE%20IN%20CYPRUS%20UNDER%20EU%20REGULATIONS%20_1_.pdf?OpenElement
Our local private Doctor charges €30 for a consultation and private prescription. Any medicine prescribed can be bought from the local pharmacy.
Do not be surprised if you have to put down deposits for utilities, it is normal, and if the electricity bill or existing phone line is put into your name expect a fee for change of name to you and from you when you move. Both are normal.