DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Magazines don't pay their writers?

Posted by Marie-663566 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Marie-663566 - 9 years ago

Thankyou for sending me so much information journo. It helps me understand the Cyprus market. The government contacts you sent have also proven to be extremely useful regarding the non-payment issues. I cannot thank you enough for your time and assistance.

Marie

Sorry no image available

Journo,

Would you please contact me direct using the email option on this forum? It sounds as if you may know the titles of some of the defaulting publications. I'd really appreciate your help here. I'd very much like to extend my portfolio to Cyprus - but not for someone who deoesn't pay.

Thanks, Marie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

Hello writestuff,

Yes, I've been contacted off-forum now by professional writers who have been owed money for more than a year by magazines in Cyprus.

One said when contacting another publisher regarding freelance opportunities he was referred back to the one which hadn't paid him. He was told...'Contact X...they are island-wide and have a big budget'.

I'm used to writing for international publications that pay the equivalent of Sterling 500 per page (500 words). And they pay within 30 days of publication without fail. So I guess I shouldn't take the risk in Cyprus!

How sad.

Sorry no image available
Posted by writestuff - 9 years ago

Sorry I didn't see your last post - it is true that you can be waiting for betwen 3 to 6 months for even some of the good ones to pay. They dictate the terms and I guess you have to make a judgement call

Sorry no image available
Posted by writestuff - 9 years ago

Hi Marie,

Don't be put off the good ones do pay, give you credit and some also pay for photos although this is rare. Do not expect to have the same rules or protection you might have elsewhere, I have been writing here for a while and have never entered into a signed contract. I havent had any problems - touch wood.

If you are a freelancer you have automatic copyright to your writing and photos unless you have signed something that says otherwise. People do pick up your stuff from the internet and republish but this is a global problem and unless you have lots of cash to spend on legal action, doubtful if you live on a journalist's earnings, then I'm afraid more often than not you have to live with it however galling it is!

Sorry no image available

Devil, I have not had any problem with my varied publishers in 30 years - and I have no intention of starting now. Which is why I asked this question.

Selling First Publication rights is not ceding the Copyright. In such circumstances, publishers generally agree to pay in full within 30 days of publication. I would not consider writing for anyone who did not adhere to that.

It's the way I have always worked for magazines, journals and periodicals and I do not propose to change now.

There are other instances in which, for books, I have sold copyright to publishers. Then I have been paid for the Copyright in advance on the basis that when and if the publishers use the material is entirely up to them.

I understand the problem in Cyprus is that there are magazines - hopefully very much in the minority -which have contracted to buy First Publishing rights, have used the material in print and on the Internet, yet over a year later have neither paid nor shown any intent to pay. Not even in response to communications from a lawyer. That is Copyright Infringement, and globally speaking there have been successful prosecutions for exactly the same thing.

All I'm asking is for a clear and fair way to establish which magazines have been dilligent in paying their writers and which are the defaulters. I am not interested in slanging matches between rival publishers. I just want facts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

Surely printing and not paying amounts to Copyright infringement as well as breach of contract - in other words it is not always a case of one OR the other, but could be one AND the other. In the case of your books I would assume the contract would indicate that payment would be via royalties and the publisher would therefore be abiding by the contract when not paying in which case the ceded copyright is correct and valid and no contract breach has occurred either.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Devil-662132 - 9 years ago

I'm sorry, but that is not copyright infringement, that is breach of contract if you are not paid. If you agree to cede the copyright for a consideration, the contract is not completed until the payment has been made. As many magazines do not pay authors until well after publication of the article, according to your argument the magazines would be infringing copyright all the time. The copyright is ceded at the time of the contract being signed, otherwise the publishers could not typeset. This has always been the case with my decades of working with/for magazines and journals.

In the case of my books, the publishers own the copyright but the contractual consideration is by royalties, so it is clearly impossible, by your argument, for them to be published, because they have to be printed before any royalties can come in.

Sorry no image available

sorry for that - Copyright

Sorry no image available

If an author sells First Publication rights and the article is published in hard copy and on the Internet but no payment made as previously agreed, that is Cpyright infringement. That is what has apparently been happening in Cyprus.

I have written professionally for publishers worldwide for decades, so I am familiar with procedures - and rights.