DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Cyprus

Posted by alliebella6 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JMC-684723 - 9 years ago

Hi! Apesia and Korfi have broardband now - I live in the area!! There are a few properties going for rent in Monte Korfi - I heard of one that was E550 and included a small pool!

Palodia, Paramytha and Yerasa are also nearby.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Most villages have a doctor who visits once a week to hold a surgery. In an emergency there are a number of hospitals and clinics where you can get attention.

Sorry no image available

As it happens, I had to go down to Limassol via Trimiklini this evening, and out of idle curiosity I timed the journey down from Trimiklini to Alassa. In the dark, staying within the speed limit, it took 12 minutes; you could no doubt do it in 10 in daylight. I think most villages around here have decent broadband now; we're out in the sticks and have a really good stable connection.

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by alliebella6 - 9 years ago

Hi Everyone, Thank you for all your replies and suggestions where to look for a property. We are looking to rent long term and want to be be away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but close enough to drive in. As we drive to the bigger city centre over here, the distance from Limassol wont be a problem. I wont be working out there so wont need to face the commuting every day and husband will be on leave when he is over here. Do you all register with a doctor in the city or are there in the villages? At the moment I'm getting in all the quotes for moving and shipping, plus selling off our bigger items. My list of jobs is getting longer as the weeks go on! lol.

Sorry no image available
Posted by alliebella6 - 9 years ago

Hi, Thanks for your reply to my post. We are looking at renting long term, probably a house or bungalow. Have made a note of the villages to visit when we are out there. As I wont be working and husband will be working away, doesn't really matter about commuter traffic. Looking for something outside the city and away from the worst of the humidity in the summer. Do you know if Apesia and Monte Korfi have broadband now? I know that Alassa has not long got it, from what my dad was saying.

Sorry no image available
Posted by deefor - 9 years ago

It all depends on what you will be doing when you are permanently in Cyprus.
If you will be working everyday and having to drive into the centre of Limassol, then you may not want to be any further up than Alassa. The Troodos road is very heavy with traffic each morning and so makes big queues for the roundabout. Add to that the traffic from the Heritage - it's not much fun.
However, if you will only be popping into town for shopping 2 or 3 times a week and will be retired, then - anywhere on that road should be fine. You can make your choice to travel out of the 3 daily rush hours.
Bear in mind you might want to carry on with an internet connection though, so do your homework in that department!

Sorry no image available

The drive down to Limassol isn't bad at all really - very short compared with the distances people cover without a second thought in the UK. We're even further up the hill from Trimiklini, and it takes us about half an hour to 40 minutes into the outskirts of Limassol via the B8, so that would be maybe 25-30 minutes to Alassa - depending of course on traffic! (Actually I rarely use the B8: I prefer to come down via Ayios Amvrosios, Kyvides & Kantou to Erimi and then into town). Palodia is actually a good suggestion - not far out of town, plenty of amenities and pretty near Alassa. Ayia Fyla has some nice tucked away corners as well, but the through traffic on the main road can be a problem.

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

Lania and trimilkini will offer better rental prices....but the drive down to Limassol may be a bit long (winding) but it really depends whether you want countryside quiet or have a city life...Upper Polemidia is about 10mins drive to Alassa and closer to Limassol town area. Then theres Palodia...but again, its in the countryside area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JMC-684723 - 9 years ago

Hi there! Are you looking to rent or buy when you come out? Apesia and Monte Korfi are about a ten minute drive before Alassa. There are a number of houses for rent and sale in the village. Nice and peaceful with good views. Alternatively, go a bit further up towards Laneia or Trimiklini - both of which are after Alassa.Good luck!!