DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Cyprus

Posted by Ang40 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ang40 - 8 years ago

Thanks so much for all your responses. Believe me, I have spent the last year and a half researching, trying to work out where the best place to live is and where the jobs are, as we are desperate to do it and make a fresh start. But we are fully aware it will be more difficult as we are a bit older, 40 and 41. I totally agree with renting, we would never buy as we have no one to leave a property to anyway. Also we have researched how much bills etc are in general and know roughly what we will need to live on. I understand the issue re having to speak Greek for alot of jobs, particularly office based. I also agree with the fact it would be better to have a job to come to but that's our problem, I look at the jobs websites constantly and have sent my cv to a few places but think that they will not entertain us until we live there, but its plucking up the courage to sell up and go, it's a catch 22 situation. Thank you all again x

Sorry no image available
Posted by Breaker-671553 - 8 years ago

Sometimes we have to take risks in life. I came over two years ago to make a new life for myself following my divorce. I took a few trips here first to get a feel for the place, and finally decided I was going to make the move. So, I sorted an apartment to rent and set myself a target of 12 months to find myself a job. Luckily, I did have enough savings to cover my living costs whilst searching for work. I was very fortunate, as I found work after 4 months.

So my advice to you is:

If you have enough savings, come over and rent somewhere whilst searching for work. You have to put yourself out there and take cv's to prospective employers. If looking for office work, you will most likely need to speak Greek. There is very little work here, but the jobs are there if you're prepared to go out and find them, don't just rely on newspaper ads. Remember that many jobs are seasonal, so you could be without work for 3 - 4 months over the winter.

You don't mention if you have kids, as there is much more to consider in that case. But if it's just the two of you there's no harm in coming over with the view of trying it out for a few months. If it doesn't work, out at least you've tried. Go for it, and GOOD LUCK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by medangel - 8 years ago

Hi ang40

I too have to agree with what Johnners and Dizzy Dame have suggested. I moved to cyprus 11 yrs ago and jobs were much easier to find back then. You really would benefit from having a job to come to even if it's only a stepping stone until you get a feel for the place. www.jobsincyprus.com might be of help to.

Life in cyprus is great hence we're all still here but it can be difficult so please do your homework and dont make any hasty decisions. To give yourself a year gap would be great.. try before you buy into it. I always say the first 3 months feel like holiday mode so try and give yourselves at least a year before you make the big decision and get to know the locals. They really can be key to getting the right job, place to stay and help you settle.

Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dizzy Dame - 8 years ago

Hello Ang40, I have just read your posting and have to say that johnners reply is spot on. I agree with everything said, particularly about renting before buying. You need to find out how things works here and if you like the particular area you are in. We manage on very little income but are much happier here than when we were in the UK. It is very difficult to find work here but I wish you every success and hope things work out for you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi Ang40,

Unless you have a huge savings pot then at least one of you should have your employment sorted before you come to live here.

It's good you are coming to look for work but many vacancies here are filled before they even reach any form of advertising. Usually word of mouth or through family connections. In most business here office work will require written and spoken Greek, unless you find a job with a business set up by an ex-pat or English based company, but that will narrow down the openings for you.

Paphos is much more tourism based and has the largest ex-pat population. Limmasol and Larnaca offer more options for work outside the tourist industry. Don't be put off there are jobs around but remember Cypriot wages are not on par with the UK. The quality of life though here is much better and we wouldn't consider moving back to the UK.

Also if you do more intially rent don't be tempted to buy a house regardless of what the agents or developers tell you. It takes time to settle and you don't want to be tie to a property then find out you prefer elsewhere on the island.

For some idea of job vacancies and pay go to http://ec.europa.eu/index_en.htm and go to the job vacancies page. I can't post the full link as the web address has some characters in it that corrupts the post. ah technology!

Johnners