DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

new business

Posted by nik261051 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tonypp - 8 years ago

Ten years too late. Cyprus a lovely place but I agree with all the comments. You will break your balls trying to make a living in property maintenance. Visit again and look again but not at the flats, houses that are still rented out but at the many building sites that are closed down, estate agents empty offices. Talk to people that have rental property, many are not covering their outgoings and are in trouble. Property maintenance is not high on their list.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie S - 8 years ago

Personally I would say to be here, settled personally and ready to do business, (have a company name, company working systems in place, advertising sorted and in place, know what your competitors are charging and have knowledge of how much your costs would be also) way before May is here.

The build up to the season starts before the tourists come and both the UK and Cypriot easter are on the same weekend which I THINK is around 20th April so villas etc will be prepped before that.

good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

Hi I wish you all the best in your new buisiness, unfortunately I have to agree with the others , there are many many property management companies out here and you will be up against people who are willing to work for very little. But if you decide to give it a go May is probably the best time because people dont realy need propery management so much through the winter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi Nik,

I agree with Rosie. We're into our 11th year here and property management companies are everywhere. They also come and go out of business with monotonus regularity.

Do you have a qualified trade within what you would offer as part of your general household repair business, electrician for example? If so that may be the area to exploit first to get a reputation for your work. Getting the work in the first place will be your biggest challenge. Here a lot of work is secured by word of mouth, also from family to family.

Please research this very carefully. Like Rosie I don't want to dampen your spirits but be prepared for a hard slog, certainly in your first 12 to 18 months here.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie S - 8 years ago

I live in Paralimni and Im practically tripping over property mantenance companies, some are very established and have good marketing behind them. Please come prepared to start up slow have low fees in order to secure work and have the funds to support yourselves for at least a year.

Sorry if you think I am being negative, Ive been here 6.5 years and seen many people come and go having not been able to get established in many areas of business. All aspects of tourism are suffering these days.

Wishing you every success though!