DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Offering free Help

Posted by modernmillie - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

caz and dav are right, many animal sanctuaries and other charities need people who will go out and set up market stalls or work in their charity stores for them to sell their donated items so they can make funds, or even go out and collect donated stuff to sell in their charity stores and market stalls. You dont necessarily need to work directly with the animals.

Anyway good luck, hope you find something of interest.

Sorry no image available
Posted by modernmillie - 9 years ago

Apart from 1 response all the work is voluntary, so I am not actually depriving anyone of paid work.

Also I understand that all animal fur is different, I am only allergic to the cat fur, but I do not feel comfortable around all dogs, so for this reason Animal Sanctuarys would not be right for me. Thanks for suggestions and opinions though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 9 years ago

If you can afford to get by, and are willing to work for free, you may be depriving people of work that need the money.
Work in a charity shop if you are allergic to animals, or even a hospice if there is one in your area.

Sorry no image available

modernmille, you say ur allergic to cats. How about dogs? Many people who are allergic to cat fur are not necessarily allergic to dog hair, as its very different,

Sorry no image available
Posted by modernmillie - 9 years ago

Thank you Cat, yes obviously I have been down that avenue but sadly although I am an animal lover, I have an allergy to cats, so this would be unpleasant for me, but thanks all for suggestions, I am replying to a couple that I think would keep me occupied whist helping them. x

Sorry no image available

The animal sanctuaries around Cyprus are in desperate need for volunteers. Have you thought of excelling your humanitarian skills? And the reward for helping animals is priceless.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hi2tux - 9 years ago

Hello modernmillie

We have just set up an advanced driving and riding group that is available to everyone for free. We are ex - UK traffic police officers who give our spare time free but as we progress we will be needing help from other volunteers to help keep us in the media etc to promote the good work we are doing, source sponsors, keep in contact with all of our members, timetable events and do some general admin.

Is this something you think you could become involved in? If so we are currently based in Paphos and are training tutors for other areas in Cyprus. Feel free to give me a call on 97727635 (Steve) to chat things over.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mystic - 9 years ago

There is no need to be bored! With World Volunteer Day on 5th December now is the perfect time to become a volunteer in Cyprus. Plenty out there to do, take a look at their website http://www.volunteercyprus.org/JoinUs/VolOppCSOs.htm

There are also numerous animal sanctuary's, cancer charities etc etc that are desperate for extra help.