DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Translation

Posted by LauraS-691211 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

Laura, I still wonder why you want the address 'translated'? There are only two official languages in Belgium: Flemish and French. Perhaps your relatives live in a predominantly Flemish speaking area/town/village so you need the address in Flemish When we lived in Belgium, we were initially in a French-speaking area, later moving to an almost entirely Flemish-speaking one. In each case, the address was always written in the majority-language for the place itself.

If you're trying to contact relatives, you need to have the address as it is written officially in Belgium. Which means either in Flemish or French. Nothing else will find its way to them.

Again, I think your problem must be reading someone's handwriting, nothing to do with translation. As I said before, your best bet is the Belgian Embassy because they will have the facility to track an address for you or put you in touch with someone who can.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LauraS-691211 - 9 years ago

Hi Stalo

Thank you for the advice I rang as you suggested and they are going to get someone to contact me. Thanks again

Laura

Sorry no image available
Posted by STALO MICHALOPOULOU - 9 years ago

Or you can contact a tourist guide who speaks Flemish, through the Tourist Guides Association,(tel. 22765755). Surely they are not gonna charge you for translating an address.

Stalo

Sorry no image available
Posted by LauraS-691211 - 9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

Basically Flemish and Dutch use the same alphabet as English - so if your husband can speak Flemish, he can read it! It sounds more as if you are having problems deciphering someone's handwriting. Perhaps someone at the Belgian Embassy here in cyprus can help you.

It's in Lefkosia.

"The Riverside Forum"
2A Chilonos Street, Office 102
1101 Nicosia

Tel: + 357 22.44.90.20
Fax: + 357 22.77.47.17
nicosia@diplobel.fed.be

HONORARY CONSULATE

21, Arch Kyprianou Street
3036 Limassol

Tel : +357 25 34.18.61
Fax : +357 25.34.08.49
sitinal@cytanet.com.cy

Alternatively you'll find their website here:http://www.diplomatie.be/nicosia/

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Laura,

Goto this page and try the online services that are listed.

http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/countries/cyprus/translate.asp

Johnners