DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Travelling to Turkey

Posted by kayfrench1@yahoo.co.uk - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by travellin'gal - 8 years ago

Oops! Posted my last comment before I read the post above.

Trisha

Sorry no image available
Posted by travellin'gal - 8 years ago

Why is it illegal to cross the border and fly from Ercan?

Trisha

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 8 years ago

IT is not ILLIGAL to travel via the North, it is frowned upon by the Greek Cypriots, but a court case in 2005, in the high court of Nicosia set a precedence, it is not illegal! (A Cypriot was arrested for leaving and re-entering the country via the North)

I travel 3 or 4 times a year, I declare my shopping at the border in Nicosia, my shopping is from main land Turkeyand Bulgaria. I retain my receipts and have NEVER had a problem. I explain to the customs that I have travelled via Ercan (a cracking airport, clean and well run) and purchased things, they look at me with distaste and wave me through.

Please don't think for one minute the North and South are not co-operating and trading. Lots of good "clean living Cypriots" Greek and Turkish are making money on both sides of the island. I look forward to the annual figures from JCC Smart the credit card company that shows how much money passes over the border. (its Millions)

As long as the Greek Cypriot community continue with their propaganda there will never be an understanding. I can remember when we used to come on holiday, the tourist reps used to lecture us on the bus as we travelled from the airport to the hotel, don't go to the North they will stamp your passport, put you in jail etc etc. Nothing ever happened!!! Things have moved on so much, you no longer pay the C£1 for the visa, there are more crossing points than ever, the Greek check points don't even look at your passport (EU rules, you have freedom of movement) Borders no longer close at 5pm and you can shop!

I look forward to the day when Greeks Cypriots except the North is Cyprus, and the Turkish Cypriots do have right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 8 years ago

If you want to do it the legal way ... fly to Greece, Israel, Lebanon or Syria and then get a flight from there to the city in Turkey that you want.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kayfrench1@yahoo.co.uk - 8 years ago

can I assure you that I fully respect the country that I currently live in and have no intention of doing anything illegal

Sorry no image available
Posted by athe - 8 years ago

Dont go through Ilegal way via North as others suggested you. You will face serious problem afterwords. Respect at least the country your are currently live.

Sorry no image available
Posted by webbo-662507 - 8 years ago

Cross to the north and fly from Ercan. No hassle

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprustk - 8 years ago

There is no direct flight to Turkey from Paphos. You either have to go throught he north side which is considered to be illegal or through another country.