DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

why are there boats watching you lara bay?

Posted by sfield1023 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bubblemaker;oP - 8 years ago

I agree with the other postings here- I used to be a volunteer watching the turtle nests & tagging the turtles-it was part of a biology school project, and we had to patrol the beaches day & night, making sure no nests were disturbed. The Caretta Caretta turtle is in dire need of help to survive, I think it is one thing the island of Cyprus is doing good towards an animal here........lets support them instead of moaning about being watched....there are plenty more beaches!

Sorry no image available
Posted by failsworthexile - 9 years ago

sfield

Why not volunteer to be on turtle watch-the conditions are very basic,the pay is nothing and the hours are terrible but the rewards are amazing !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I agree with the other posters

But why do you go back to the same beach if you are so upset at being watched ~~ theres plenty of other beaches in the area where you can swim and sunbath without being watched .

If you insist on using this beach then I'm afraid you will have to put up with being watched ~ and quite rightly so ~ those watching you do a valuable job ( often unpaid) protecting the turtles habitat

You seem to be making life difficult for yourself by using this beach .

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

If you walk on or drive over turtle nests and impact the sand, the hatchlings can't escape. If you leave tyre tracks between the nests and the sea, the hatchlings get caught in the ruts and die before they reach the sea. If you are there after dusk and have the vehicle lights on, that disorients the hatchlings.

As Achilleas says, that is a protected beach and the hatchlings and turtles there should very correctly take priority over humans. I also suggest you find an alternative beach.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

You are going to have to put up with it, and it's not something people should complain about.
There are many people that would like to dig up the egss, but thankfully there are those that will watch the beach for such people.
The turtles have a hard time as it is, without people disturbing them or digging them up.
If you don't want to be watched, then don't go to Lara bay - there are many others in that area to go to.