DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do EHIC cards cover child birth in cyprus??

Posted by zoecyp - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gazza326 - 8 years ago

We (my wife and I) had a baby in Larnaca hospital back in December and the only paperwork we showed was the EHIC card and to date no one has come asking us for any money.
Not sure of your circumstances but we had all the scans back in the UK and the baby was born 17 days early so we had in mind to say that it was an 'emergency birth' just in case, but nobody asked for anything other than the card.
All went well, we had a few problems afterwards registering the birth, but that's a different story!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Toni-680775 - 8 years ago

As I understand it the EHIC cards should only be used for emergency treatment in an EU country. However there have recently been changes to the card. I suggest you contact the UK Department of Health, (I assume you are from UK?) http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/International/EuropeanUnion/DH_4117938They may be able to throw some light on the matter. There seems to be a lot of confusion around the cards and what exactly they entitle to holder to. I did e-mail the high commission here, two months ago for clarification about the changes to the card but as yet have had no replyRegards