DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Health card

Posted by Gladders - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gladders - 8 years ago

Thanks Toni,
That sounds very helpful, we will apply for an S1 on Monday.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards Syl.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Toni-680775 - 8 years ago

As of 1 May 2010, new regulations on European social security coordination entered into force, Form S1 (replacing E106, E109, E120 and E121) and it is used to register for state health care here . This form is obtained from International Pension Centre (IPC) in Newcastle. ( they do have a website) The EHIC card should only be used as a temporary measure and is designed for travellers and visitors and not for permanent residents. You must have gone through the registration process in Cyprus before you are eligible for a Cypriot health card.
Once you get your S1 down load the necessary form from the Cypriot Department of Health website ( there is an English version) and take it to the Citizens Service centre, with a copy of your passport, a copy of your residents permit and the original form S1, you will eventually get a Cypriot Health Card which will get you on to the state system.
There are different rules if you are working, retired or not in receipt of a UK state pension but not actually working, but the Citizens Service centres are usually very helpful.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Jo good of you to respond. Everything I find out helps.

Syl.

Sorry no image available
Posted by josigirl - 8 years ago

If you are not working but under pension age you can use a 106 when you first come out here but need to have private medical insurance for immigration. The 106 only lasts for a few months. Then you need to have private cover or you will have to pay yourself. Once you reach pension age you are then elegible for your pink card from the General.

Do not take the risk of not being covered. Accidents happen very easily and can be very costly.

jo

Sorry no image available

Hi Kromwell,
It could be they have changed the rules recently, we have friends that came out the month before us (last Aug) and used their E111 as you did with no

problems in Paphos.
The rules here can be a bit trying as I am sure you know, but having said that they can in the UK also.

I am sure we will get through it as we did all the other bits of red tape.

Thanks for your wish of good luck.

Regards Gladders.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kromwell - 8 years ago

Hi, yes ours was at Limassol but definitely the E111 card. Is there any rule saying you have to register in Paphos? Try Limassol? Best of luck

Sorry no image available

Hi Kromwell,
There seems to be different rules depending on where you are based, (we are in Paphos) we were turned down with the e111 card in Feb this year
and some friends have just been this week and were also turned down.
I know they accept the E106 (s1) which I am about to apply for but I got a shock when I spoke to the NHS rep in Newcastle, he told me the E106 starts
from when you paid your last National insurance contribution, in my case april 09 so there would be only a few months left on it when I get it.

At least if I do get the E106 it should allow me to get residency.

Thank you for your input Kromwell.

Kind regards Gladders.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kromwell - 8 years ago

Hi there, we registered at the Department of Immigration (opposite Orphanides) and showed our EHIC (old E111 cards) cards as our health insurance and it was accepted. I also know other people who have done the same.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Soph,
I had a sneeky feeling that would be the case, thank you for confirming.

Kindest regards Gladders.

Sorry no image available
Posted by soph-678689 - 8 years ago

to get your medical card you have to be registered in Cyprus or have a receipt as proof that you have applied.you also need to produce proof that you have paid insurance contributions, ie that you work.

to register you also need to produce proof that you have paid insurance contributions,so if you dnt work and haven't paid contributions you have to take out private medical insurance.your pink medical card will be issued based on the amount of contributions paid in.ie might only be for 6 months then you have to reapply.your other option is to do as many cypriots do and that is go prvate.hope this has been of some help.

BEEN THERE DONE IT GOT THE T-SHIRT LOL