DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Treadmill vs Exercise Bike

Posted by thedon29 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clem-689387 - 8 years ago

I'm 100% with you on that one Rosie. One thing I love about Cyprus is indeed the result of the non-stopish sunshine on our freedom to experience the outdoors.
And regarding putting off exercise, that's when getting a dog become handy. There are many benefits to having a dog, and one of them is motivation to go out and walk in the sun (and occasional torrential rain! :-)).
So we've got happiness from being around a happy little doggy or even from walking with people like you said Rosie + exercise for good physical and mental health + Vit D and other good things from the sun as well as fresh air versus cycling on a machine indoors, in aircon perhaps even. Umm... I wonder which one is most beneficial :-)
Health is not about getting one thing right. Its about incorporating the whole shabang. Finding disease is easy, its finding health that is tricky business. Unfortunately, conventional medicine as well as our society as a whole focuses on disease, not health. (there's not profit in health)
(Come on Thedon, give Paphiakos a visit! :-D)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie S - 8 years ago

Strange how nobody has mentioned walking, we have good weather almost year round and walking in the fresh air is not only good for you exercise wise but the fresh air relaxes you. It can add to your social life if you join a walking group. Add a couple of hand weights to step things up a bit or the ski poles our nordic friends use and you can work upper body also. Good trainers or walking shoes are essential though.

Most people find that buying these machines and having them around the house means you can put off any exercise so they get used less and less, then eventually become the dusty eyesore that gathers various items drapped over it in the corner of the room.

Speaking from experience here LOL.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, forgot to say, if you combine your cycling with yoga you can't really go wrong, as the yoga will work to balance your body. If you don't go for yoga, then make sure you stretch you legs well, mainly the quadratus and illiopsoas muscles. So that the strength that you build up and therefore the tone, is canceled out/restored by the stretching.
I'm sure you can find animation or at least detailed explanations on the net with regards to the stretches named above.
Cheerio!Clem

Sorry no image available

Well then, I guess I'll be getting a phone call from you soon then! :-) Na, i'm only joking. Some people may cycle throughout their life and get no related problems so don't worry about it too much. Now you've got it, you might as well go for it!
Enjoy,Clem

Sorry no image available
Posted by thedon29 - 8 years ago

Hi Clem, thanks for the interesting reply! I actually bought an exercise bike last week, but after reading your message, regret it abit! Ill see what happens though!

Regards...

Sorry no image available

Hey there thedon, I'm an osteopath and I can tell you that all three will work on your cardiovascular, respiratory and musculoskeletal systems, for sure. However, the main difference is how they work your musculoskeletal system. When taking a look at our biomechanics it becomes obvious which exercises we're intended to perform. And these are walking, running and swimming. Not cycling, sorry :-)
Cycling demands on certain groups of muscles, which over time will get stronger and may upset your otherwise balanced body, which is when you'll do your back in while gardening and give me call! :-) That's the reason why I would not usually recommend cycling.
Research says that to keep a heart in a healthy conditions 30min brisk walking a day is enough. its basically a little demand on the cardiovascular and respiratory system, which is all the heart needs to keep healthy. The "use it or loose it" principle. So, ideally, get a dog and go for some brisk walking in the lovely country side that we have here! :-)
As TheHammer said, impactions can become a problem, especially for your knees. Usually, walking/running on soft grounds (not tarmac and concrete pavements...) is great as well as on a thread mill as both of these absorb some shocks. However, if your knees, hips and/or low back (and others...) are predisposed to be worsen with impactions then both these activities may bring on some symptoms.
We're therefore left with the Cross trainer. There are minute overall differences in the way the body works on the cross trainer and when walking. However, I'm not familiar with these differences and therefore cannot comment so much on the cross trainer, other than the impaction issue that TheHammer mentioned. Bear in mind that the small impactions you get on soft grounds is perfectly normal and beneficial to healthy bones.
So, my advice: walk/run outdoors in the country side with nice fresh air or walk/run on a thread mill. And if those give you symptoms (or can't do them for whatever reason), then move on to a cross trainer to eliminate the already minimized impactions.
Sorry for the long post ;-)Best of luck!Clem

Sorry no image available
Posted by paolodacipro-667925 - 8 years ago

The best best thing you can buy for your blood circulation is an ELLIPTICAL BIKE, something like this: 

http://www.fitnessmegastore.co.uk/fitness-equipment-14/elliptical-trainers-22/fitness-elliptical-trainer-exercise-11950-6536_zoom.png

I have one and with only 10-15 minutes per day you I feel a big difference on my body; this because it differentiate from other gym machine in a way that make you move  many many muscles of your body at once!

If you dont want to spend a lot for it TROULLIDES or CARREFOUR sells at good value-for money machines, otherwise you must go to gym equipment shops.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TheHammer-704787 - 8 years ago

Any form of cardio will help keep your heart healthy. Not knowing your age or condition you or your heart is in always check with your doctor that its safe to go ahead with any exercise routine.

If you're finding it hard to decide it might be a good idea to go down to your local gym and try all 3 out before you make any purchase.

These links might be useful

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/3992/1/Elliptical-Crosstrainer-Benefits.html

http://www.rlrouse.com/elliptical-cross-trainers.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by thedon29 - 8 years ago

Didnt think of a cross trainer! Basically, want something to look after my heart really! Might look into it. Do you have one, and if so, how does it help you?

Regards...

Sorry no image available
Posted by TheHammer-704787 - 8 years ago

Neither!

Get yourself a cross trainer. Doesn't impact on your legs like the treadmill and works the whole body unlike an exercise bike!