DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Air Con Charges

Posted by M & J-667470 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ticktock-682513 - 8 years ago

Hi

We rent a four bed villa out, our bills were coming in at over 1000 euros for the summer period, we have had the horstmans fitted, but be careful they must be fused, if there is a power surge - which happen a lot by us, it will blow the unit and render it useless, its also a safety issue particularly if you are renting out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 8 years ago

Hi M & J

Think about fitting HORSTMANN 'Electrisaver Switches'.

www.horstmann.co.uk

They replace the switch for your A.C. unit and allow a maximum of 2 hours running. They also make a unit that allows 1 hour running. Definately fit one of these to your immersion heater. I fitted one for a lady that returned to the U.K....leaving the immersion on. €2500 later. It was turned off.

I don't recommend you fit them on bedroom A.C. You would'nt want to get out of bed every two hours to re set it.

Question? Why do A.C. remotes go down to 16C.....? Thats freezing!

(You can buy these timers in Cyprus..expensive here though..ScrewFix Uk have them).

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 8 years ago

Also break or lose the remote

Sorry no image available

Another thing to consider is wear and tear, also damage.
Some people dont know how to use them properly and will have them running yet leave patio doors open etc. This will not only use more electricity but can overwork the unit causing it to burn out and render it useless.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 8 years ago

kazanddave wrote ~~~~~Some people run them 24 hrs per day, expensive

especially when the renters aren't paying the electric bill !!!

You really need some form of cut out so the air con isn't left on all day .

Bill

Sorry no image available

Some people run them 24 hrs per day, expensive

Sorry no image available

Last year at a villa that my family rented in coral bay, they got charged 5 euros per unit per day

Sorry no image available
Posted by ilyaUK - 8 years ago

€15 each! It is about 100kW - which is about 70h per week (or 10 per day).
So, 4AC - €60 per week. Well, it is about €240 pm (--->>>€300 should be The price!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by woosh - 8 years ago

I suggest getting an Air-Conomy system fitted (i think thats what its called). Its has a metal tag on a key ring . Has to be placed in the slot inside the property in order for the electric & air con to work . This prevents people leaving the air con on while out.

The electricity bills have gone up A LOT so I suggest you up your weekly rate. 15 wont be enough in my opinion.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ilyaUK - 8 years ago

Last summer each AC unit consumed about 15 EUR p/w ("normal" usage )