DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Amenities in Cyprus

Posted by Chanchi - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

HI,

Regards heating when I moved over I was advised wait and see, I did. For one year I used plug in electric heaters , the next year I used the air con heating system, that was ok but as with aircon niosy. Last year I had gas installed.

I would still recomend wait and see though because alot depends on where you live.

All the best

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Right - well personally I'd probably go for one of the villages just off the motorway to the west of Limassol; off the top of my head, Anoyira is a very pleasant place and less than 30 minutes to PFO -probably only about 20, actually. We're up in the Troodhos mountains and it's only about 45 minutes to PFO. Pachna is a possibility, though not as pretty as Anoyira. Then there are the villages up the Diarizos and Xeros valleys, between the airport and Paphos - some very nice little places along there. We very nearly bought in Trachypedoula, which is a pretty little village and, if you choose your property carefully, has some stunning views over Paphos Bay.

Best of luck

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chanchi - 8 years ago

Hi

many thanks for your replies, pretty much the same as where we are now then, we haven't decided on an area to settle yet but I will be using Paphos airport on a regular basis so anywhere thats about 40 mile distance will be fine. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

thanks again!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Hi

The toilet paper problem is often not so much a matter of the sewerage system as of the strangely designed traps they insist on putting in, with a ledge over the outflow pipe that collects much of the solid matter that gets flushed down a loo. There are several solutions - the most basic is to clear the trap manually from time to time with a suitable implement! A handyman friend recommends liberal and frequent use of caustic soda down the loo to keep the traps clear. The best - and probably most cost-effective - solution is to install free-flowing moulded traps, and in 85% of cases the problem will disappear.

The need for central heating depends, as Achilleas says, very much on where you are, but also on your personal comfort levels; a room at, say, 23 deg may be chilly to some, cool to some, comfortable to some and insufferably warm to others. We live at about 850m above sea level and have never felt the need for central heating. Having said that, we have a 200-year old stone house with 80cm thick solid walls and an 8Kw wood-burner, with an infra-red heater in the bathroom. It is very rare indeed for the inside of our house to feel cold, even in the depths of winter, and it can get so warm that we need to open the doors! Modern concrete houses will be much less thermally efficient and will probably need some form of central heating. We used to rent a concrete-built house only a couple of hundred feet above sea level, and the winters in it could be absolutely FREEZING.

You appear already to have decided on Paphos - that would be one of my places to avoid (but that's my problem, not yours)!

Best of luck

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 8 years ago

Hope this answers your questions ..

Toilet paper - has to go in a bin, but all houses are slowly being connected to a central sewerage system that will eliminate theseTap water - yes you can drink the direct line - it can taste a little chlorinated sometimesGas - bottled - nowhere has pipedCentral Heating - depends whereyou are - it can get a bit chilly in the winterMould - depends on how good the builders and developers were and what measures they tookPaphos, Limassol, Larnaca and Famagusta all have tourist areas to avoid - Nicosia doesn't have them - Best place to live for jobs is Nicosia and Limassol as other towns aretourist driven and have least jobs and worst paidNicosia to Paphos travelling at about 110kph is about 1 hour 30minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes.Wish you the best