DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Be aware ....The caterpillars are about

Posted by oriana-682052 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

Hi Tikka,

found this site that describes the Common Millipede.

We learn something new every day.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05552.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by tikka-664777 - 9 years ago

Feel much better now, many thanks for that.

Now in search of ant powder.

Thanks again.

Sorry no image available

Hi Tikka,

sorry but I don't know the scientific name for the millipede

type things you have, but, they are harmless. They seem to be a cross between a wood louse and something else. They seem to live on rotting wood and vegetation. We find them in the house all the time. Not sure where they fit in the food chain, as nothing seems to eat them.

Ant powder does kill them. A fine trail of powder around the house will sort them out, if you are not keen on these funny little fellas.

Just make sure you don't touch any hairy caterpillar. The hairs are uaually nasty.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oriana-682052 - 9 years ago

Got that wrong ..... Processionary caterpillars

Sorry no image available
Posted by oriana-682052 - 9 years ago

They dont sound like the caterpillars .... but still take care around them . If you google "processional caterpillars " you will find an image of what these look like .Yours sound like them things with millions of legs ....they scare me !

Sorry no image available
Posted by tikka-664777 - 9 years ago

Okay, I'm worried now.

I have been finding a large number of dark brown centipede type things inside my house, on the floors & climbing the walls, but they don't seem to have any hairs on them. Can I take it that these are something very different to the catapillers you are talking about & does anyone know if these are harmful or not?

We have had these for a couple of years now, but there seems to be more of them this year & they are bigger, about 2/3 inches long. I have just been picking them up with a tissue & throwing them down the loo, as they drown in water.

I'd be grateful if anyone can give me any information as to what these actually are.

kind regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristineG-661182 - 9 years ago

Hi,

I managed to cut out all the nests on my land and burn the little bugs, but there are still many nests surrounding which i cannot reach! Does anyone know how these nests are made, is it a butterfly that lays the eggs etc and when and what do these caterpillars turn into. This might help to 'defend' the trees before the nests get going ??????

Thanks

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

Nasty little bugs aren't they .

Thankfully I've only got snakes in my area .

Bill

Sorry no image available

Check out this link. Tip! Never touch Any hairy caterpillar.

http://web.cortland.edu/fitzgerald/PineProcessionary.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by paulairo - 9 years ago

Hi there, we are coming out to our property in Kapparis shortly, can you tell us what they look like just in case.?