DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

British Television and Internet Connection

Posted by allyn-688850 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

I use Cyta broadband and have very few problems (although others on the forum seem to have continual issues). I'm about 3km from the exchange just outside Limassol. For watching live TV u can either use the link already given, or if u also have a Lamnia VPN set up you can use BBC Iplayer and catchup from ITV and 4OD and 5 to get the programs you have missed as well as getting the live feeds for BBC and ITV direct from their websites. The Lamnia VPN 'fools' the UK tv sites into thinking you are in the UK, and works very well. I find I watch more TV on the catchup services than I do live - mainly due to the time differences - stuff I want to see is on too late at night for me - so I watch it all the next day using i-player and catchup. Details of Lamnia can be got from

http://www.lamnia.co.uk?xyz=8 and subscriptions are from as little as UK£6 per month if you pay by Paypal for 12 months or you can pay a little more to just try it out for a month. It's easy to set up and I've not had any problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Allyn,

Welcome to Cyprus.

Internet broadband is available through Cyta, other providers are around but unlike in the UK competition hasn't really started yet in the battle for customers. As you're in Limassol you should be able to get a decent download speed at least 2 to 3 megs.

Once you have broadband www.filmon.com will give you the basic channels you need. Select the low speed feed of the TV channels on offer and if you find the picture quality acceptable stick with that, otherwise you'll hit your download limit if your package has one if you use the high quality feed.

There are other options but the meter would be ticking on cost eg:sat dish and set top box etc.

If you have problems post back on this thread many users have been through the trials and tribulations of Cyta, the internet & sat TV so help will be at hand.

Johnners