DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cytanet Broadband

Posted by gazzaga - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kitkarman - 9 years ago

Thought it was free to call cytanet, sure I dont pay, do in uk to ISP there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

Cytanet is rubbish. its slower than what you are paying for and their servers crash constantly. I have lost business because of loss of internet and their call center is rubbish too. last wednesday when most of Limassol's internet was lost, i spent 32euros of phone calls from my mobile to their helpline trying to get thru to someone all day and didnt get to speak with anyone until 11pm!!

Personally I dont care about the technicalities, I am not an engineer to understand any of it, i just want to be served with an internet service which does not crash during the major business hours every month!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 9 years ago

Well, insofar as uploading is concerned, there is a general problem with the whole of Cyprus... You should check your specifications, but I guess that you are subscription provides for something like 2 MBs downstream and 192 KBs upstream - if you want to do some heavy uploading, you would have to subscribe to a business package...

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunnysuzie - 9 years ago

Hi Gazzaga,

I live in Oroklini, and upgraded in May from DSL1000 to DSL2000. Since the upgrade my download speeds have been good, ranging from 1956 to 1975. My upload speed is causing me severe problems, it ranges from 170 to 183 at best. It is always evenings it gets bad. I have been emailing Cyta since May their latest response is this:-

We would like to inform you that a fault affecting a number of our customers with low upload speeds has been identified. Unfortunately, the origin of the fault is unknown. Our technicians are trying to resolve the issue.

Your request has been registered and you will be notified as soon as the fault is completely resolved. A refund will be considered as soon as the fault is resolved.

My gripe is if the origin of the fault is unknown, but they admit there is a problem, why should I pay for something I am not receiving, and should they be allowed to advertise something they know they can't provide? This is now on going for 5 months.

I got the gist of what Devil said I think, some went over my head, but at the end of the day I am not getting what I am paying for. Everyone in my area is in the same boat.

Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

HI Gazzaga,

I'm averaging download 850 & 122 upload. I'm midway between Paphos and Coral Bay so judging by other posts not doing too badly for connection speed.

I agree with Devil that we can't lay all of the problems people are reporting at the door of Cyta. Once your connection leaves these shores it's not down to Cyta regards speed and connection quality. I suppose the comparision would be posting a letter from here to say the USA it would pass through several sets of hands and companies and you and the recipient has no control over its route or delivery time.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by gazzaga - 9 years ago

Thanks Devil. That's a very comprehensive explanation and I think I understand what you are saying. My mail gripe is that Cyta con tinue to connect new subscribers in my area and the slowdown has been building during that rollout. When I first moved to my village, there was no broadband. I went on a waiting list for when it was introduced and was connected as soon as it was. At first the service was good, fast and reliable,. The service has slowly got worse and worse and the notable drop was when Cyta doubled the speed for the same price last year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Devil-662132 - 9 years ago

OK, to appreciate the problem, you have to know how much copper wire there is between your modem and the nearest broadband node. The farther the distance, the poorer your performance will be. Secondly, you must realise you are sharing your bandwidth with everyone else; there is a limit. To explain this, let me try to give you a purely hypothetical picture:
Imagine you have a link in the chain that has a limit of, say, 20 Mbit/s and that you have 100 subscribers using that link. At 3.30 am, you may be the only person on that link, and you are very close to the node, in which case you will benefit from the full performance you pay for, say 2 Mbit/s down ½ Mbit/s up. By 0630, 9 other similar subscribers are on line. The ten can share the 20 Mbit/s that is available and still get the full performance (actually slightly lower, but let's ignore the abstruse technicalities). By 0830, 30 similar subscribers are busy downloading something. Because they are sharing the bandwidth, each has only 20/30th = 0.67 Mbit/s.

Now, going back to my first point, copper pairs, used between the fibre optic node and your house use the upper frequencies for ADSL. The impedance of the pairs cannot be matched to the terminal impedance of the splitter in your phone socket, so you get reflections along the line and these reduce the reliability of your communications. The longer the wire or the poorer the quality of your wire and the equipment at both ends of the wire slows down the bitrate until the handshakes confirm that what you down/upload are going through reliably. With ADSL, the maximum theoretical length of copper in a connection is about 5 km. In practice, this may be as low as 3 km and the nearer you are to this limit, the relative up/download rates will approach them.

I am exactly 1.7 km from the node to which I am connected. I pay for 2 Mbit/s download. At a favourable time (few others using the node), I get about 1.3 Mbit/s download, rarely more. I surmise this is the limit imposed by the copper for my type of subscription. At busy times of day, my download speed may drop to 600-800 kbit/s, because the node is being shared with other users.

This is the way ADSL works and there is not much you can do about it.

However, you should never forget that the "throttling" of download speeds is not just the prerogative of Cytanet. A typical Internet connection may go through anything between 10 and 30 nodes and any one of these can slow the transfer of data if the traffic is high, not to mention that the server at the other end may suffer the same problems as you have, especially if it is connected by copper (most decent ISPs have fibre optic, but not all), and the traffic to that server may be high at a given moment. The data that is transferred between the two ends of the connection is sent in "bundles" (called packets) and each packet is checked by a handshake before the next one is sent. If it fails the check, this is repeated until the handshake says that the transfer is OK.

Take cyprus.angloinfo.com (this forum) as an example. The server is in San Antonio, Texas managed by ServerBeach. It takes me through 23 hops, 7 of which are in Cyprus, to reach them. It takes 28 ms with no lost packets to get me out of Cyprus, which is good. From there, it goes to a node in London, run by BeyondtheNetworkAmerica and this node slows me down to 118 ms, which is less good but acceptable. What happens after that, goodness only knows, because I get 100% data loss at the intermediate nodes most of the time, and this is why Angloinfo is excruciatingly slow at times. This is nothing to do with Cytanet and everything to do with Angloinfo and the path that their slow server at ServerBeach takes to get to London.

In contrast, one of the servers I use for cypenv.info is in Cincinnati and it takes 22 hops to get there. Most of the hops give 0 or only 10% data loss for a series of 10 packets (10% means that one of the 10 packets has to be resent, but it gets there) and the return journey takes only an average of 220 ms, which is quite usual for a transatlantic connection. Another server I use, at cypenv.org, is is Pittsburgh and is reached in only 12 hops with a return time of 199 ms, which is very good for a transatlantic connection. However, this one is a bit of a cheat because they use a semi-private link between London and Chicago and they have their own private 10 Gbit/s fibre optics between Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The point I'm making is that slow downloading is not always Cytanet's fault, if it is at the other end or anywhere in between. Even the node that Cytanet connects to (there are half-a-dozen different ones) is usually slower than Cytanet itself. And the speed-meters do not give you a true indication, either, as they depend on the time a packet is sent somewhere and then comes back. The answer you get depends as much on the "somewhere" as on Cytanet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevieknight - 9 years ago

I get 882 and 119. I'm paying for the second to top speed connection.

Sorry no image available
Posted by annelieroux - 9 years ago

I'm in the Universal area of Paphos and just tested my bandwidth on the i-choice site. Results are 978 kbps download and 121 kbps upload speeds. Could we have some comparisons?

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevieknight - 9 years ago

Mine here in Episkopi is terrible. Takes ages to load a page up and you can forget about streaming any videos etc. It also does not like loading photos. They tried to blame my computer, I tried to explain it is absolute Top Spec but it fell on deaf ears.
As evrybody says what can u do..When in Rome and all that.