DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

heating allowance for villages over 600m

Posted by Linze-670802 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dingbat-695890 - 9 years ago

Hi everyone, we received our allowance this morning. 666euros for three people, now i can pay my electric bill!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 9 years ago

Hi Graham

Wood isnt cheap either. We do have a fire place in the kitchen, but as this doesn't heat anywhere but that area, we rarely use it.
We were using the reverse aircon for heat until early January but could see the electric meter numbers turning so we got a gas portable fire to use in conjunction with them.

We are renting, and are looking to move to a village with a similar elevation but south facing, and also double glazed windows, that we dont have at the moment.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

The only reason I asked was that I wondered if there was an explanation for the apparent discrepancy in your heating costs and ours; I now understand - we face south, get whatever sun there is all day and get the full benefit from our solar panels, whcih will at least take the chill off the water if there is any sun at all. I've regularly recorded mid-day temperatures of around 14-17 in our courtyard on sunny days over the winter. We've used the immersion heater a few times to get the warm(ish) water up to a usable temperature, but I think only 2 or 3 times over the winter to heat water from scratch. I have some friends who live down very near the coast, but the aspect of their house is such that they get only a few hours direct sun even in the height of summer and virtually none at all during winter, and consequently their heating bills are surprisingly high considering they're barely 100m ASL. It's all in the aspect........

Sorry no image available

Hi Graham

We are at 900mtrs same as you, our village is on the northern slope so gets little sun during winter as it barely clears the peak. Until recently we needed heat during the daytime as well as night. The hot water panels only work if we have a long spell of sun on them and sometimes when it is sunny down on the coast we are in cloud.
Is there a reason why you ask?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Kazanddave, how high up the mountains are you? We're at 900m, and don't need to light the woodburner till about 5pm, having had the doors & windows open most of the day......

Sorry no image available

Cant get to the Mukhtars office today.
Is there anyone out there who has got their Winter fuel payment yet?

Sorry no image available

I hope you right, still using heating in the daytime now

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dingbat-695890 - 9 years ago

Hi, i've just heard that the money is through and it will be allocated to us by the Muktar this week. Not sure how much though!

Sorry no image available
Posted by garyctid - 9 years ago

No not 10% its 100% of the 1st 1400 euros and then 30% up to 2600 euros limit if your over 600m. if your below 600m its 30% up to a 1750euro limit providing the windows / doors etc are rated energy efficient. Olympic windows meet this specification and they fill in all necessary paper work for you. hope this helps everyone.

Sorry no image available

We got 185 euros each last year for 2 adults. I was told it was around 250 each.
As I said I have been told the amount has been less every year.

If the money does come from the EU then it will be them who would stop or reduce the payments. I think the Cypriot government would be in trouble if they withheld it.

We have used 16 bottles of gas just for heating so far this winter, and am expecting a huge electric bill anytime now.

Just have to sit and wait.