DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet connection

Posted by david davies-678934 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi again David,

You need to make sure your dongle is connecting to and being billed by a local phone operator here in Cyprus. It sounds like you were connecting to Vodafone via the roaming facility hence the high charges.

3G service has been improved recently in the Paphos area where I once got 3 bars on the signal reading I now get 4 or 5 in the same areas.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by david davies-678934 - 8 years ago

thanks i'll take a look at that,we did use a uk vodafone dongle stick this time we were in cyprus,but have just seen the bill and wont be using that again,two weeks usage cost £87.that was only a few times a day,and would only pick the inernet up on 3g,which meant leaning over the balcony to get one or two bars of signal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi David,

Are you using your laptop just to look at emails and the odd bit of internet browsing whilst in Paphos? If so there are so many Wi Fi hotspots around the town you could pick up a connection that way.

If you want to be online for streaming or perhaps work then check out the mobile operators and their plug and play USB mobile internet services. Almost the equivalent of Pay As You Go in the UK.

Take a look here http://www.cyprusbroadband.net/

Johnners