DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mildew on room ceiling

Posted by 5vrgs - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paolo-anco - 9 years ago

Where can I buy Ebac dehumidifier? I have the same problem too!

Sorry no image available
Posted by 5vrgs - 9 years ago

I cleaned the ceiling today with slightly deluted bleach and then with a damp cloth afterwards. The mildew came off without a hassle. Thank you so much to all the advisers for the helpful input. :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

You can buy products (similar to the Polycell range) which both kill mildew and prevent it growing again.

However you have to be really careful when using them (in terms of both skin contact and breathing in the vapour).

Wiping with a cloth impregnated with neat bleach (so that the cloth is damp, not dripping!) is a simple solution - but you would need to do that fairly frequently.

As others have said, apart from using bleach/mildew treatments you also need to review ventilation and control humidity to get rid of the causes of the problem rather than just treating the effects.

Sorry no image available
Posted by desagun - 9 years ago

If you have black spot mould it will be caused by lack of ventillation probably caused by a gas heater--- if you can wipe it off with a DRY towel then it is due to poor ventillation. Use bleach --- watch your eyes when you do it -- ventillation is the answer. De.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BMTG-666657 - 9 years ago

It depends on the type of fungus or damp. Best to have the area cleaned and treated but first should really get a professional opinion to ensure you know what type and rid of it once and for all

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

If you use portable gas heaters, you will suffer from condensation, and in turn mildew and mould. The same applies with paraffin heaters. Burn a litre of paraffin and you get a litre of water vapour.

Concrete houses have cold ceilings in winter, so water vapour condenses. A 'false ceiling' with insulation with keep you cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Mould loves damp. (see my sock drawer). :(

De humidifier is also a very good idea.

Sorry no image available
Posted by maggiemou - 9 years ago

You can buy mildew remover which contains bleach. Also get yourself a dehumidifier. Ebac are the best and are available in Cyprus. You will be amazed at the amount of moisture they remove form the house.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 9 years ago

Bleach works well.