DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Millipedes that look like worms

Posted by Jean Ginn - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harmonymac - 6 years ago

We have just come back from Paphos and encopuntered these horrible beasts = got rid of 5 in one night!!!  I freaked out when I went into our hotel bedroom and found one crawling on my counterpaine just as I was going for a lie-down!!!  We could not keep them out as there was a good 1/2 " gap under the room door ! In the finish we got some bug spray and sprayed it all round the door frame and across the threshold, but still saw them climbing the walls - I don't know whether they are the biting variety but I wasn't taking any chances - at first we thought they were leeches!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 8 years ago

The millipedes can be a nuisance. When they get in the house they climb the walls until they de hydrate and die. They need damp surroundings.

Ant powder works very well. As we have problems with ants we lay a thin line around the house. Keeps out ants and millipedes.

Lift plant pots etc regularly, as they look for dark damp places, perhaps thats why they like my house???

Sorry no image available
Posted by amylou-666706 - 8 years ago

when i get this years supply will let you know name, it was only a small bottle, but mixed made up about 10 litres which was enough for about 4 seperate sprayings.

if i remember correctly it was about 8 euros

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jean Ginn - 8 years ago

Thanks Dahlia35 I will be trying this, I will try anything. They obviously cant swim as every morning I have been fishing them out of the pool....they are so yuk!!

Sorry no image available

Thanks Stellaluna yes they are horrible. We had about 30 climbing the walls the other night. I went to a garden centre in Paphos very helpful and suggested a liquid called Demand 2.5CS quite expensive at €13 but it makes up 4 ltrs. I am going to try the Raid Max that Dahlia35 suggested. I wll try anything suggested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dahlia35 - 8 years ago

There is a spray Raid Max for cockroaches. If you spray around few times as well garden it's ok, and is not so expencive or dangerous. You have to spray straight over them and they will die for a few minutes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Amylou is right. They are millipedes and after it rains they come down in numbers from the guttering that catches the rain, I think.

I hate them. Could yu please tell me the name of the liquid. By the way, the Greek word for them is tsarandapodaroussa. (the one with forty feet).

Sorry no image available

Thank you for the information I will go today to buy the liquid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by amylou-666706 - 8 years ago

They are millipedes, don't stand on them they stink!

if you go into any diy shop they will give you some liquid you mix with water then spray round your doors and windows, that will keep them out of the house, the garden is a different matter.

if you think they're bad now, wait till it rains!! you get used to them and they won't hurt you, the centipedes are a little bigger and a rusty colour, obviously with less legs!

Sorry no image available
Posted by GPSforsale - 8 years ago

This should be centipedes. Be careful because some of those things are poisonous.