DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mould

Posted by archiebold - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandra46-681487 - 8 years ago

i have used a dehumidifier for over 25 years, i brought it over here and it has proved invaluable. i wouldn't be without it, i never have damp, mould issues. i only put it on from 1a.m. - 7.a.m. when the electricity is cheaper, but it isn't expensive to run. if mine stopped working, i would buy another straight away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by archiebold - 8 years ago

Hello Johnners

I have a question for you as you seem to have a very good understanding of this problem, if I have vent/airbricks fitted this should solve my problem? I apologise if I sound a little foolish but I do not understand why I need both the vent/airbricks and a dehumidifier.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suntan - 8 years ago

Sorry I meant DEhumidifier.Good explanation though.The amount I'm sweating tonight,I can fill a bucket in half an hour.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi again Archie,

If your bathroom doesn't have a vent or extractor then condensation is inevitable in your bathroom. For the time being if you can open the bathroom window just as you finish your shower or bath that will reduce the condensation.

Yes I was refering to the type of brick you described as used in the UK. Here it could also be a slotted vent or even what looks like a small horizontal slit in the wall and the render is angled over it to form a mini canopy. If you have air-con units in several rooms these can surfice as vents to replace the ones mentioned as the units themselves will have a hole through the wall to and from the condenser/fan/chiller unit outside. Likewise if you have an open fire the chimney would act as a vent to prevent condensation in that room.

In answer to your question Suntan. A new build property will produce litres of condensation as the plaster and cement slowly dry out. That's why windows/doors are left open to help the drying process. If the room/building was closed the condensation remains and you would eventually get mould then gradual deteriation of paper, plaster, woodwork etc. A dehumidifier speeds up the drying process by remmoving the moisture from the air. A humidifier does the opposite.

My brother works in the industry and has installed domestic and industrial air con and filter systems all around the world, he helped us with similar problems here.

Hope this helps Archie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suntan - 8 years ago

I have never seen airbricks in Cyprus houses either.My question is, if you installed a humidifier in a brand new house with no damp in the summer,would it not fill up the tank anyway from the general humidity and body humidity ?

Sorry no image available

Hello Johnners

My property has no vents air bricks that I can see, sorry but this is not my best area of knowledge, when you say air brick they are the ones with holes in that I had in my uk home ?, I dont want to question you, but I dont believe I have ever seen them here, I do have double glazing but there are no vents on them that I can see either, and the bathroom definately has no fan, that I am sure of, so not looking to good for me is it.

Archie

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi Archie,

You need to check what ventilation your home has. Have a look at the walls outside and see if there are any air bricks or air vents. Usually they are within the first four or five rows of bricks from ground level, depending on the construction this does vary though. Check that the vents aren't blocked then go inside and do the same. It's not uncommon for properties to be built here and the developers 'forget' to include these vents. Once you've cleared the vents the problem should subside but some properties may still need a de-humidifer to finish off the job.

Other things to consider:

Do you have any portable gas heaters? These are a quick way of heating a room but the by product is lots of condensation.

Does your bathroom have an air vent or extractor fan? Without one the same problem, loads of condensation and it won't be confined to the bathroom.

Double glazing? Great for insulation purposes but without the correct ventalation it will add to the condensation problem. There may be small vents at the top or bottom of the glazed sealed units that you should slide open to stop condensation.

We have a de-humidifier and it's only used for a couple of hours a day at certain times of the year. Usually when we get home and it goes cold really quickly so we whack on the heating and it creates a damp atmosphere.

A de-humidifier will pay for itself very quickly as the problems created by damp and mould can be very costly if not tackled and stopped.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by pedros-696795 - 8 years ago

we got a danby off ebay from the uk, it has 7.5l tank, it has a control for humidity levels, so if it drops below the setting you have it on it cuts out and restarts when it rises again, like i said in one day we can fill the tank at a setting of 50%, we have a 2 bed house and we get problems in the upstairs bedrooms, so we have it on the landing area. we paid 140 sterling 1 year ago. have a look on some websites they will probably give you specs and consumptions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by desagun - 8 years ago

Hi Archie, rising damp only rises up from the floor a max of about 3 ft. So not on the ceiling , probably due to lack of ventillation. If you have black spots that can be wiped off with a DRY towel it is spot mould due to lack of ventillation. Open the windows. Wipe off the spot mould with a DRY towel and spray with lightly diluted bleach and let it dry, WATCH YOUR EYES WHEN SPRAYING. De.

Sorry no image available

Thank you for yourr reply.

I have not looked into them properly, I do know what they cost to buy, but am unsure on what they cost to run, and there are so many how do I work out what size unit to buy ?