DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pool liner stains from sun tan lotion

Posted by Cypruswez - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Osunafr - 3 years ago

Rosie S Report

Revolution is available from DIY stores. Its a pink liquid and very strong so must be diluted. Its a bout 15 euros for a litre and excellent for pool scum lines, tiles and even boats.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: 03/11/2010 at 17:19

Hi there, I am new to this site and just been reading through your comments as I have the same problems.  I have a fibreglass lined pool, just had to have it re lined and painted at a cost of 1,400 Euros caused by constant use of creams staining pool and cleaning with different detergents.  Also causes problems with chemical levels.   Rosie - the cleaner you mentioned is this safe for a fibre glass lined pool or only for tiled pools? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 8 years ago

Thanks Rosie S. I will keep a look out for it.

Please keep posting folks...there may be a miracle cure out there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosie S - 8 years ago

Revolution is available from DIY stores. Its a pink liquid and very strong so must be diluted. Its a bout 15 euros for a litre and excellent for pool scum lines, tiles and even boats.

Hope that helps.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the input Tim. I also have found you can bleach out most of the stain by topping up the pool and boosting the chlorine level.

I suspect though, that the liner is damaged. The outer layer of the liner becomes sticky to the touch after a while and then grime starts to attach itself. A few experiments with pieces of liner make me think that, in the right circumstances, the outer layer of a liner can be damaged and be affected by U.V. from sunlight, far more quickly than normal wear and teat would suggest.

The culprit, I believe, is sun tan lotion. A number of pools I look after have been affected to varying degrees. My experiments with pool liner scraps show that sunlight itself will degrade a liner to the point where it will start to turn black. Most of us have experienced the effect sunlight has on almost everything over here. Watch fabrics fade and disintigrate as fast as that new guttering you installed last year.

Please keep the comments coming in. There are so many pool owners worldwide who are experiencing this annoying and expensive annoyance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tim illson - 8 years ago

Hi we had the same problem, tried everything. Finally we filled the pool over the hight of the skimmers covering the mark, it disapeared but I am not sure for how long! Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by CHERYL 57-669163 - 8 years ago

Well its better to use brilo pads than white spirit that would make a terrible mess in the pool. Ive used the pads for ages and it comes up brilliant and doesnt scratch the liner or leave any mess. You should give them a try ours is an 8x4 pool and I use around a 10 pack for less than 2.00 euro, but it depends on how long you have left it, I do it once every 2 months in the summer, but it could be body oil as well not just tan lotions.

Sorry no image available

Hi Darren,

looked in a few petrol stations but no luck in finding 'Revolution' spray.

Which oil company sells it? All the major retailers sell brands

that are often franchised, so each oil company has different brands.

Would like to give it a try though.

regards.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

I just had a pool border fitted by start to finish. It looks fab and because it is vinyl it cleans up great. Very reasonable at 320 euro. Tel David on 99799651

Sorry no image available
Posted by darren 2959 - 8 years ago

go to a petrol station and buy a spray bottle called revolution use a soft sponge and some elbow grease and it will do the trick

Sorry no image available

Forgot to add;

The cleaner mentioned by Arbeia. made by Bernouli Trading Company.

The main ingredient is caustic soda and what appears to be surfactants, (detergents). These can have a big effect on the chemistry of the water. Very good at getting rid of gunge but I would advise; 'use with caution'. Check the pH afterwards.