DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

refillable cartridges for printer

Posted by me_jane - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

Seems like we've gone off at at a tangent a little. Poor Jane started the thread as she had to BUY a new printer, since the print cartridges were blamed for 'invalidating the warranty' We know from the thread this is untrue - the warranty is valid unless the cartridge is the cause of the fault.

So Jane's original warning boils down to a 'well known shop' which we still don't know which one has got extremely dubious practices and likes to pass the buck whenever possible - Jane ended up buying a new printer and wildbird managed (with the help of the refill shop) to get it replaced. The refill shop should not have had to be part of the loop unless HP advised that the cartridge was the cause. In wildbird's case this was clearly not the case - hence new printer after a battle. Jane should still have grounds for a further argument with the unknown retailer though as the second purchase was totally unnecessary it would appear.

Does our HP expert on the forum know how you get an irrepairable printer after 3 months use??

Sorry no image available
Posted by euanw09 - 8 years ago

wildbird, there was and is no problem with the cartrages. The problem was the printer. Even tryed new cartrages in the shop to show it was the printer at fault. And yes i got a new printer from hp. Not the refills to blame at all.. Im still using refilled cartrages.Andrew the problem i had was with the gears in the printer. I have had no problems at all with any refilled cartrages as of yet. And when I do it just means buying a new one. Whats the problem with that?? Wildbird I don't understand what you mean that its not standard up practice to change problem printers?? Why? If you have anything that is under gaurantee no mater if it a printer or phone or fridge why not to get it replaced

Sorry no image available

I am still most intrigued to know just what damage can be caused by refilling a print cartridge - from either wildbird or euan.

Personally I've never used refilled HP cartridges although some other printers may well be more amenable to the practice as stated - years dealing with high speed IJP head quality issues has made me acutely aware of how easy it is to degrade print quality so I've always gone HP mainly because of the fact that print heads are renewed regularly. Still leaves me baffled over this damage issue though!!

Which is the rogue shop btw who likes to blame refilled cartridges for letting them off any warranty hook?? They need to be put right on the matter!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by wildbird-704847 - 8 years ago

Think about it Euan, they gave you a new printer to keep you quiet as it was their cartridges at fault. Both you and Jane - Hmm. I used to work for HP and this is NOT standard practice for them unless the fault was theirs.

As Andrew has rightly stated, the print heads do not get replaced with refils and how many times has the cartridge been refilled - you will never know!! Cartridges are only designed to be used once as they contain the print heads.

Some other printers have separate print heads that are designed to be used a number of times Canon is one of them amongst others. Some people never have a problem with refils but me personally would never touch them, and also they are never filled to max capacity so the amopunt of printing each one is capable of varies enormously, also the image quality is much poorer. Stick to originals and you will very rarely have a problem.

Falcon

Sorry no image available
Posted by euanw09 - 8 years ago

hi all, had a similer problem as jane not so long ago with my printer. Bought it from a shop in limassol and had the ink refilled. Then the printer broke, took back to where i bought it from and they said it was because i used refills. Also it could not be fixed and no gaurantee because of refills. Took all to the refill shop ayia fylaxios very angry!! Only they told me that its not the refills that made the problem and if hp don't fix my printer that hp would replace it for free as my printer was still under gaurantee. One year here in cyprus. One phone call from them and three days later i had a new printer from hp, without them helping me i woud have had to buy a new printer. They saved me a lot of money. :)123 refills is where i went and where i keep going

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_jane - 8 years ago

I dont know what damage was cuased but the well known shop in Ayia Fylaxios said that hp said it could not be repaired. I have now bought another and some extra genuine refils.

No more false economy for me.

Angry Jane

Sorry no image available

Limsolcy - I stand mainly corrected on the warranty issue - and quote from my own printer manual:

"For HP printer products, the use of a non HP ink cartridge or a refilled ink cartridge does not affect either the warranty to the customer or any HP support contract with the customer. However, if the printer failure or damage is attributable to the use of a non HP print cartridge or a refilled ink cartridge, HP will charge the standard time and materials charges to service the printer for the particular failure or damage".

My comments regarding cheap printers v cartridge costs and the refilling versus new print heads remains though esp if quality is of concern!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by limsolcy - 8 years ago

AndrewMoni, You are wrong at the end. the guarantee is NOT void if non manufacturer consumables are used.

it is in black and white in the book that comes with your printer. But most people dont know this and also the people that sell printers

Sorry no image available
Posted by limsolcy - 8 years ago

dear Jane, dont know what shop you went to to get you printer fixed. but i deal with printers here in cyprus, you have been fooled. HP even puts in there book that the guarantee is not lost if you use refilled cartrages. there is no way for a cartrage to break your printer. it is not posible. they are lieing to you. if you still have the printer and want any help let me know and im more than happy to help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pedros-696795 - 8 years ago

Sorry what i meant was, what was the reply from hp, in what way did they do the damage and how ?, i've got a hp and i use refills, so far apart from the quality i've had no problems, but now you have me worried.