DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rhubarb

Posted by KolossiMax - 6 years ago
0 0

I'd like to grow my own rhubarb. Does anyone know if it grows well here (I have very good soil). If so does anyone then know where I can get a crown or a cutting from one or what it's called in Greek so I can ask my local garden centre? There, now that's more interesting than second hand sofa's now isn't it? Kolossi based, but occasionally trot out to Paphos.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anita Green - 5 years ago

hi i planted rubarb in january this year and have kept a watch each day for shoots but so far nothing has appeared.

Sorry no image available

As you drive along through Ypsonas, toward Limassol, there's a bank of Cyprus and a Pizza Hut on your left, a bit further on there's a biggish gift shop on the right (Michael's I think) that always seems to have fans standing outside come rain or shine. Opposite is a turning to the motorway, the Papa's is right there on the corner.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kantara - 6 years ago

we have had two crowns brought from the uk for us both last year and the year before but have had no success in keeping any of them growing unfortunately. we planted both lots in potting compost, maybe that was the wrong stuff and we should have tried some red soil. On a slightly different tack, where it the new Papantoniou in Ypsonas? the brochure stuck in our gate has a map on it but we cannot make any sense of that. we are in Erimi so it is not far from us.

Sorry no image available

Fresh Rhubarb for sale in the Brand New Papantonio in Ypsonas

Sorry no image available

Thanks everyone, who'd have thought rhubarb would generate such a response, lol. I'm off over Lysiotis this evening as I need a Greek teacher too and apparently their noticeboard is the best place to find one. Someone else told me abotu fruitopia in linopetra too, so I'm off over there this afty if I get an hour. Not a terribly green fingered sort so I think I'll give up on the growing bit, Rhubarb crowns in my memory just sat there, they weren't high maintenance!!Cheers you lot, you are indeed the fount of all knowledge!
Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nicola-660448 - 6 years ago

You can buy fresh rhubarb here, it is usually in Lisiotis in episkopi and also in the large fruit market in Ayios Athanasios industrial estate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 6 years ago

... so, looking at that website, it originated in Siberia and needs frost - so maybe it would grow up in Troodos, which reminds me, there is a guy up there who grows organic raspberries (yum) and blueberries.. I buy kilos and freeze them.. must give him a call...

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 6 years ago

I LOVE rhubarb - we always had it in our garden in Scotland - but NOT from seeds - no way. My mother brought some over years ago but we culdn't keep it alive in the intense climate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 6 years ago

.... and I just found this relating to a question from North Cyprus ... http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070326021201AA7f9zP so it should be possible here. It appears that a lot is grown in California so there is hope. I was a little wrong regarding the needs of the plant though .... so it is well worth researching how to do it in a warm climate - google for "grow rhubarb in a hot climate" and you will find loads of responses again ....

Wish you'd never asked the question - you'll have me growing the stuff soon too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 6 years ago

I would have thought it would require a heavyish soil, controlled exposure to sunlight and loads of water - but cannot really see why it shouldn't be able to grow here - maybe you should get some seeds and start experimenting - there is a guy on the web who had loads of people responding to his quest for why he couldnt grow rhubarb - and neither could his family members - when everyone else around seemed to grow it with no problems ... so maybe the lady in the garden centre just doesn't have rhubarb fingers ..... see if M+S sell frozen rhubarb!!!