DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Skype and built in web cams

Posted by loadsatime-678473 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by loadsatime-678473 - 9 years ago

Hi there all contributors......sussed it!
I checked the version of Skype and found it to be the latest.
So..............as the webcam was already installed in the lap top figured there must be some info on the technical data somewhere.
Went to Control Panel to see if there was something there, but not specifically, but I did see
Device Manager, a I reckoned it's a 'device'..........clicked this to see what it would show.

found an icon for 'Imaging' devices.......figured it's a camera....images......might be somewhere near right.
found a tag for USB 2.0 camera.........
clicked that option and it gave a dialogue box with three sections of info . general / drivers/ details.

It told me in the 'general' that the device was 'disabled'.....having been a nurse, reckon that equates to not being able to mobilise!
the notion equates with .....'not taking images'. it also said the 'drivers', ( those little elfs that make things work)
are up to date and working.
In the 'details' box it told me this device is for taking videos!! a voila.......c'est bon.....

So there was an option to 'mobilse' the device, I followed the instruction and hey ho, we now have video, vis the internal web cam.
So .........being a 62 year old lady with minimal knowledge of computer techno stuff but just wanting to see my family and friends via skype.......I am well pleased with my efforts....and don't begrudge the approximate 6 hours or so it has taken to
sort it out.
BUT a big thank you to you all, I think this is what Kitcarman was suggestionin his response.
Cheers enjoy the rest of your day.......

Sorry no image available

thank you catmeister, we only downloaded skype for the first time a few days ago.......however, since we don't have a disc
or re-installing the drivers as previously suggested and could only fins 'extrenal' web cam drivers on line to download,
perhaps the version of skype that we have is not the latest.
I will go to their site and see what I can find......thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

I had a similar problem. Download an updated version Skype. You can get this from their website.

Sorry no image available

Hi Armou family thanksfor that, we tried the previous suggestion without success. Cheers much appreciated.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Armoufamily - 9 years ago

I had this problem with Skype and my built in webcam, I re-installed my webcam drivers and it worked fine then. Google your computer model number and search for webcam drivers.

Sorry no image available

cheers or that we will find the tools section and see what there is prompts

Sorry no image available
Posted by kitkarman - 9 years ago

You will have to tell skype which webcam to use, think its in tools when you log on to skype. will have a look next time i use skype for a ca video call.