DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tomato Plants

Posted by Marley and Me - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miguel-661697 - 8 years ago

Okay........got an answer this morning. I've found where the shop is located and I'll head there on Monday. Thanks..........

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the contact details of the Limassol shop, but I've not been able to get an answer from that telephone number over the past three days. Any idea where the shop is?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Marley and Me - 8 years ago

Hi Miguel

I purchased the Dipel 2X from a shop in the old town Paphos. It's called Spiros Stavrinides. They also have a shop in the Limassol Area tel-25362098. It's in powder form so you will need pump sprayer.

The yellow square sticky sheets are in the Home Centre in the gardening section.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available

I've got the same problem with my cherry tomato plants. The caterpillars also seem to be having a go at some flower leaves too....... Can you tell me where I can find Dipel 2x and Yellow Sticky Traps that you are going to use? Preferably in the Limassol area. Thanks.

Sorry no image available

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have been recommended to use Dipel 2x which is certified for organic use. I bought a sachet yesterday and used it last night. I also cut off any affected leaves and destroyed them. Low and behold this morning I found 7 dead caterpillars on the tomato plants. I will also get some yellow sticky traps ( thanks Cypruswez)

Let's hope they don't come back.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 8 years ago

If the culprit is leaf miner, spraying does not help as the grub lives and feeds inside the leaves.

Remove the infected leaves and destroy them.

Hang yellow sticky traps out as soon as you plant your crop.

Avoid plants susceptible to these pests.

Good luck. Gardening in Cyprus is a challenge.

Sorry no image available

Would love it if it were these as they are large and easily seen. My caterpillars are about 2-3 mm long and are burrowing into the leaf and leaving a trail similar to this http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/insect/leafminer.html

Out of about 20 tomato plants 3 different varieties only the Brandywine Yellow has been affected. I won't be growing these again.

Any ideas?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Devonite-692897 - 8 years ago