DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Utilities Assistance

Posted by Paul&Sans - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi again Paul & Sandra,

Contact your electricity and water companies and get their banking details that they use for direct debits (effectively account and sort code) the current owner should have this info too. The companies will already have customer account numbers currently in use for the apartment, give them the date you are signing for the property and become the owner (assuming this is already agreed with who owns the apartment at the moment) Once the details are registered all you need to do is call them when you move in with the meter readings and confirm the changes.

You didn't mention telephone / broadband connection again it's best if you contact the current supplier - possibly Cyta - and tell the the expected date for transfer. If you can arrange this with the current owner the handover should be seamless. What you don't want is for current owner to tell Cyta to disconnect before you move in otherwise you will have to pay for reconnection and there could be a delay in reconnection too.

Also get everything in writing so as to avoid any confusion later.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul&Sans - 9 years ago

Johnners

Thanks for your e-mail i have an account with the Alpha bank. Was enquiring that when i am over in late nov can i set up the payments in the bank or do i need to go elsewhere

Paul & Sans

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Paul & Sandra

If you haven't already done so you need to open a bank account here in Cyprus. This will make setting up direct debit payments much easier. When you let your apartment your tennant can then pay into this account too.

If you need to transfer money from a UK account to your Cypriot one there will be a charge and don't forget the exchange rate too. There are several ways to keep these charges to reasonable level regardless of the amount you want to transfer.

To set up a bank account it is much better to visit the local branch of your bank (whichever company your choose) here in Cyprus. Setting things up remotely from the UK can be difficult and time consuming.

Johnners