DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

VAT on building materials shipped from UK

Posted by dstump - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dstump - 7 years ago

Thank you for this, that seems to make sense, so if we send a container from UK of new stuff and have paid VAT there, we don't pay a second time, and if we don't pay in the UK, we are liable to pay in Cyprus. Of course, this is all complicated because we are living in Dubai at present and planning 4 years hence! On the topic of building, we have land in Giolou, in an area where there are lot of traditional houses, can anyone recommend an architect who is familiar with timber frame houses?

Sorry no image available
Posted by andreas shipping/moving - 7 years ago

VAT is governed by EU LAW, same throughout EU....
i dont think you have a CY VAT registered company...so, you will need to pay VAT on NEW products coming from the UK (whose vat is not paid already) upon arrival at Limassol port. this will be 15%.
if you are a company: you dont pay on arrival but on your next VAT form submition.
hope to clarified this as simple as i could.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dstump - 8 years ago

Thanks Tony and Spanner, for your feedback. Obviously not a straight forward topic. The facts that the UK is heading for 20% VAT and I'm not in a position to order any materials for a little while prompted this thread. I think I will touch base with the timber frame manufacturers in UK and get their take on the matter. Once again, thanks for your responses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tonypp - 8 years ago

Uk vat is 17% Cyprus is 15% which is the minimum allowed under EU rules. I would pay the Uk vat as the building material prices are a lot more costly here. On the uk vat side, if you know what you want you should buy before next tuesday, I think the vat goes up to 20% on that day. Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spanner-666908 - 8 years ago

Unless your are registered for VAT in Cyprus, you need to pay VAT at source when purchasing from another EU country. However they should really only charge you VAT at the Cyprus rate, which is better for you.