DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Watching TV Online

Posted by johnners-660966 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by amylou-666706 - 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply johnners,

tried again last night, worked ok for 2 or 3 minutes, then channels on right hand side dissapeared replaced by rates and screen closed saying subscription expired?

Was watching itv 1.

I do have sky, but it breaks up something chronic between 6 and 9 at night.

Mike.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Amylou,

I'm running filmon version 2.9.2 and it is still free for all the popular UK channels BBC, ITV, 4, 5 etc.

Hi Blackcatwizzard,

What service are you signed up to? With a 4 meg link, if that's the true speed you're getting, you shouldn't have streaming problems.

Hi VinnyC,

Yes www.iportal.me is another service I've heard good reports about. A collegue of mine, based in Italy, uses it all the time. I didn't list it to begin with as I've no direct experience of using it here in Cyprus. I'll add it to the list with your recommendation.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by blackcatwizzard - 9 years ago

hi. just to make a point. ive become a member to join & pay monthly instalments to a UK company to watch UK tv channels BUT sadly the picture quality is POOR & its slow motioned. ive up graded to 4 mbs with Prime Home tv. still its just not so satisfactory. internet tv isnt what u expect it to be. its just poor quality. MIKE 99 348 504

Sorry no image available
Posted by SuzyB-690793 - 9 years ago

Hi Johnners

Very helpful, I have been using online viewing before but prefer to watch via satellite

I am arriving in July and have a freeview satellite box which I used in France, will this work in Cyprus for British Free to view channels if I have a big enough dish?

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 9 years ago

Try www.iportal.me its 50euroes a year to join but it gives you a UK IP and instant access to Iplayer, BBC catchup and 4od, you can watch live UK TV all day long regardless of the weather and without a dish.
Sunday mornings are my catchup times, watch everything you misses while your lunch is cooking, just brill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by amylou-666706 - 9 years ago

Hi there,

i have just downloaded filmon version 2.9, be aware, this is now subscription, whereas the others were free to view.

TVU is quite decent, a lot of rubbish, but the terrestrial channels are there.

Mike.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Peds111

If you follow what is written in my original post.

Internet connection is up to speed (above 1 meg)

Your PC has the correct software, or utilities, loaded to run filmon or iPlayer for example

and you've understood the section re:proxy servers*

Then you should be able to watch these streams without too many glitches.

Johnners

*For extra help about proxy servers go here http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=48953

Sorry no image available
Posted by PEDS111 - 9 years ago

HiHow did you manage to use these if you are in Cyprus?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tricky-674129 - 9 years ago

Hi Johnners ... Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this so clearly ... I've had problems with film on but will now try your suggestions ... and I'm sure your advice will be of geat help to many others .....