DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Water Quality

Posted by Gray-667268 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clem-689387 - 8 years ago

The first thing is to get your water tested in a laboratory. I've been wanting to do it for my boor hole for ages but never got round doing it... Then you'll know what you're dealing with: chlorine, fluoride, drugs, parasites, bacteria... (note we don't have fluoride in cyprus).
The problem with plastic bottled water is the leaching of the toxic plastic chemicals into the water. Also the environment effect. And finally, the cost.
We got a water filter from Dr Mercola, mercola.com. It was €200 i think, and its the best i found. Top of the range. Its an investment you make, with which you will save money and health.
Clem

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepps - 8 years ago

I use a water filter, even with mains water, just unscrew your tap filter to see the rubbish coming through the mains, have a look at eastmidlandswater.com, for good filters.

Sorry no image available
Posted by astro7041 - 8 years ago

I don't know if any of you have thought about why we don't get lime scale any more but I believe it's because we are drinking desalinated water. In the process of desalination, it also removes all the calcium, zinc and magnesium which are minerals our bodies need. So be glad if you have lime scale, or take a supplement to safeguard against future health problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gray-667268 - 8 years ago

Thank you all for those ideas and opinions. I appreciate it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Marley and Me - 8 years ago

PS....... you should see the colour of the filters after 4 months of use... They recommend you change them after 6 months so order an extra set with your filter system so you can save on the postage...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Marley and Me - 8 years ago

All tap water in Cyprus is treated with chlorine etc. It depends where you are from regarding the limescale. I bought a reverse osmosis filter system from vyair.com, cost me a third of the price than it would here. Thats including courier from the UK delivered in 4 days. Haven't descaled my kettle in over a year. They also do a 5 stage water filter without the RO membrane for 57 sterling and delivered for under 20 pounds. Alot better than the bottled water they sell here and easy to self fit. Try them and you won't regret it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Toni-680775 - 8 years ago

As mentioned it really depends on where you live and how your water gets to you. Unlike Graham our water is very soft, we rarely need to de-scale any appliances including the electric kettle, that was done over 12 months ago and has a tiny bit of lime scale in it at present .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Limescale is a major problem here - the water is incredibly hard, and we find we have to descale appliances such as kettle & coffee-maker every 6-8 weeks. We use water softener (such as Calgon) in the washing machine & dishwasher at every usage, and use only distilled water in the steam iron. Even so, we still get limescale. On the upside, if you're into home-brewing the water should produce a cracking bitter or pale ale..............

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gray-667268 - 8 years ago

You make a good point about sitting in storage tanks, if indeed the water does sit in them for weeks - I must admit I don't know anything about the water process. Nevertheless, a filter should stop the minute solid objects that are coming out of my water cooler - such as slivers of green plastic from the plastic caps (even after a few uses) and limescale - although I only use spring water.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

I think it probably depends where you live and how your water is piped to your house. We're in a mountain village and our water comes from a local spring; so far (touch wood) we've never had any water cuts or shortages, and we drink the tapwater quite happily. It's very hard and, I imagine, high in mineral salts, so it's probably quite good for us too. On the other hand, if you're in an area where your water is pumped to you from lord knows where and sits in storage tanks for weeks on end, then I'd probably think twice about drinking it without at least filtering it first.

Graham