DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving to cyprus

Posted by hopenot - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

beware it is a minefield , and it is possible to have your car impounded , it happened to me this year , and the british embassy is limited in what it can do .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Technically, I'd say that the TRNC is actually in the EU - the accession was of the whole of Cyprus. It is, however, an extremely grey area owing to the illegal occupation by a non-EU country. As you say, Catmeister, many,many people on this forum have advised against taking this route - all that happens is you let yourself in for a load of unnecessary hassle and could find yourself on dodgy legal ground if you come into the Republic of Cyprus via the North.

On the other hand, when I've gone across to the North from time to time I've always found the TRNC officials extremely polite and helpful and the compulsory car insurance very reasonably priced. But then, I didn't arrive via an illegal point of entry.......

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

there are quite a few people on this forum that have advised against taking this route. but many prefer the cheaper route, but the cheaper route can just end up as a big headache like you say. Turkey is not in the EU, nor is Northern Cyprus, so you cant even threaten to report them to EU officials for fraud! so they will continue to make up their own rules and its poor foreign folks like you that fall into these traps...again and again, year after year...hopefully someone here will read your post and they will think twice about coming via that route.