DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

another one bites the dust (sadly)

Posted by catmeister212 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by maid marian-667424 - 9 years ago

We left over one year ago with 3 dogs that had been dumped on us as we couldn't stand the cruelty there and believe me it is the best thing we have done. The dogs are very happy and although there is cruelty here in the UK it doesn't seem to be like the cruelty there is in Cyprus. I hope for the animals it will get better but I doubt it. We also pay a monthly sum into Dog Trust. There are good people in Cyprus that really care for the animals.............thank God................but I think there are more that HATE animals for whatever reason.

Our dogs have brought us a lot of happiness. All have different ways about them but they are all good dogs and we have NEVER had any problem with them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by allsunny - 9 years ago

I am having my driving lessons almost daily in Limassol ... I stopped the car to wait for a wounded bird to cross the street, only to see, when looking in the rear view mirror, 30 seconds after, that the bird was lying dead ran over by the guy coming from the lane on my right; 1 week ago, in Kato Polemidia, there was a very small cat , 1 week old at most, eyes not opened yet, in the middle of the road, when an old woman who was cleaning the pavement in front of her house, smashed it with the broom and mixed it with the rest of the garbage....a few days ago, a husky grey and white dog was wondering the streets somewhere near Makedonias street...I stopped the car every time, begging my driving instructor to let me take that creature home...in his car, yes, it's not mine...he did not reply on the moment and made me drive away...
I still feel quilty for not jumping out of the car.... Since I was a little girl, I had dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits in my home...my parents were and are big animal lovers and they taught me to love every living creature..
After seeing all this, I decided to adopt an abandoned dog as soon as possible, and after a while a second will come...and I will not stop here..as soon as I will have my driving license, I will go and help the Sirius dog sanctuary with what I can...believe me, my friend, you should not abandon your "mission", because people here are cruel, but let this cruelty be your motivation..I do believe that every small gesture counts, and try to find happiness even in helping a cat to die in a "humanely" way ...it is hard, indeed, but where is the satisfaction in things easy to achieve?
Hang on and fight! We all are here and will do our best to help and make a little change in the world surrounding us..good or bad...it's our job to make it better...

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

thank you Kat.

I spent many years helping animal organisations abroad and here. and for the last three years help Malcolm's Cat Sanctuary almost religiously, rescuing many other animals, promoting many other animal sanctuaries, helping them with fundraising and their causes. At Malcolm's we treat cats that are ill, cats that have been abused, cat and kittens that we know will not surrive; we feed them, make them feel comfortable, calm them down, give them meds, clean their wounds, sign their charts and write their notes for the next visiting vet, we deal with this and get on with it. Yet I don't think I can ever deal with animals that have died because of human abuse and cruelty and especially having to make the decision whether the animal lives or not because of this.

While I was trying to get the cat off the road, I noticed people were staring from the passing cars (probably wondering why I was helping him). I just want to scream at them. I just dont understand many people in Cyprus and why they act the way they do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kat54-668988 - 9 years ago

I read a lot of your posts Catmeister and I know, just from reading them, how dedicated you are to the cause of animal welfare. It would be a very sad day if you left the island. I have been here 14yrs now and I get very upset by what I see, because despite all the efforts of people like yourself, the situation just does not seem to get any better, but without you all, I really believe it would get even worse! What you did for that poor cat was what every decent person should do when they see any animal suffering. God bless you and I sincerely hope you find the strength to stay and fight on, for the sake of every animal on this island that needs your help not just today but in this ongoing battle to get animals on this island treated with the care and respect that every living creature deserves.

Sorry no image available

thank you Christine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristineG-661182 - 9 years ago

Cyprus would suffer a big loss if you left, as I know how muchg you do for animal welfare here. It is so difficult everday to see animals in distress, that it hurts. But I have come to the state that I realise I cannot help every one, but just helping a few, is a few more than would have the help if I didn't.

You did a great thing this morning as without you that cat would have suffered far more, lying there in pain and distress. At least you ended his distress and pain quickly by what you did.

I totally agree with you that the drivers here, (and I am generalising before anyone jumps on me), couldnt care less about animals on the road, and I have known some to actually aim at them on purpose. We live out of the village in a quiet road area, but the cars, although not many, still go like a bat out of hell up here. Yesterday I had enough and jumped out in the road in front of a car that was going over 80 in a 30km/hr and made him stop. I think he was so shocked that he apologised profusely.

I have 7 dogs and 3 cats and every time the cats go out I worry about them, but I also can't stop them going out?

Today has been one of those bad days, but tomorrow may be one of those good ones when something relating to animals will make you smile. Hang in there!

Sorry no image available

you know anna, I was living in New York during 9/11 and in London during 7/11 and saw some horrific things but managed (thankfully) to continue with life and learn to live with it, however I see animal cruelty here in Cyprus almost every day and in affects me in such a way that I cant continue to want to live here....

Sorry no image available
Posted by annanim - 9 years ago

If you do go back, we will make an issue out of it. I know a woman who tries to establish relationship between tourism and animal abuse. You're no tourist but in a way you are going to be driven away from your chosen 'holiday' country cause of animal abuse. If you go back you can open a blog and talk about the reason and frustrations that led you to embadon Cyprus. Nothing goes wasted...YOu get peace and Cyprus get's bad publicity for not welcoming animal loving citizens here...

Sorry no image available
Posted by annanim - 9 years ago

Don't feel like a quitter if you do need to live with peace in a place where the norm is non-abuse unlike in Cyprus or Greece. I myself too think of going somewhere to find peace.Some of us are just too weak, we don't have to excuse ourselves. Many times I cry for an animal and my own parents think im crazy... I just can't bear it. If you are personally distressed living in cyprus i suggest you go back and from there you can still help with donations and writing about our past experiences in Cyprus. In general though, if you do leave, don't do it just cause some ppl don't stand by you cause of 'politics'. Do it for a real reason, ppl don't deserve it.