DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do I need to hibernate my tortoises over winter?

Posted by sianhennessy - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sianhennessy - 9 years ago

OK, thanks. They're not very small, one maybe 10 or so inches long, and the other a bit smaller. They are in an big crate with drainage, about half a foot of soil, some rocks and a shaded area. I will take them inside at night though if it is too cold for them. I read that if it goes below 10 degrees then they should come in.
Thanks again,
Sian

Sorry no image available
Posted by nona-668071 - 9 years ago

Hi,

Another thought. If your tortoises are small they will definitely need to come in over the really wet cold weather, especially frosts etc. Even if fully grown they will need shelter from rain and frost. Although mine are outside they are enclosed in a large aviary and able to bury themselves in soft sandy soil. Breeding is very successful so long as there are areas with full sun throughout the summer and again soft sandy soil where they can lay their eggs.

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by sianhennessy - 9 years ago

Thanks for responses. I think I will leave them outside then, their enclosure has no danger of being flooded so I am sure they will be fine. 
How successful is the breeding?

Sorry no image available
Posted by nona-668071 - 9 years ago

Hi,

I keep a number of breeding tortoises which I keep well protected from the worst winter weather but they need to bask in the winter sunshine which is when they eat. They bury themselves if its really cold but no need to hibernate them as such.

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Natally-687150 - 9 years ago

What I usually do is bring them in for the winter. They sleep for the most part and only at times wake up. I can't let them stay outside incase it rains and they drown.
So I would bring them in and let them sleep. Make sure if they do not sleep they have a place to walk around and are kept warm.