DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dog Licence

Posted by Cyp08 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cyp08 - 9 years ago

Thanks Stellaluna and Vinny

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 9 years ago

Hi guys,

I got my dog licence from the village office here in Kolossi, its a carbon form which is filled in triplicate, you take the top copy, the village office keep a copy and the last copy is sent to the district office.

I think its best to have a licence, some time ago there was a quote "ignorance is no defence" I would say if you go fishing but put the fish back do you need a licence?

I would suggest going back to the author of the letter and ask them what you have to do. I don't think you can have a licence until the dog is chipped and injected, this could be quite costly.

Good luck anyway at least the dogs have a home and not a tin barrel!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

Bravo, you, Cyp08 and all the others like you. Apart from my own chihuahuas, we have had Amber for years. A big dog, part shar-pei. She was starving in the mountains in winter. A skeleton who had been hit by a car I think as back leg was problematic. her eyes covered in pus. She had been tied up as the skin on her elbows is still like a thick pad. She had been bred and not fed as she had long teats of dead skin.

But she's trouble-free and never wanders, so we've been able to keep her for years. darned if I'll pay any licence - they should pay US.

Good luck to Mutley.

Sorry no image available

Exactly what I say. If I have noisy dogs barking all day next door to me and the local authorities don`t do anything about it, whats the point on having a licence in the first place. That`s why the UK obolished theirs over 20 years ago.
There are so many on the streets, mishandled, under fed and strays, like our `Mutley`. We beleive she was either thrown from a car or lorry and bith her back legs were broken. When my husband went to work one day, she turned up outside his workplace bold from the midle of the back to the tips of her back toes and couldn`t walk at all. He picked her up and took her to the vet, where he said the legs were badly broken ages before we found her, but would be OK and would walk with a bad limp, which she does, including the bandyness of her walk.

She also had a skin complaint, thats why she was bold. We treated it, and it disappeared. She OK now, and living with a lovely friendly caring family home. Us of course.

I do agree with what you say though Stellaluna................

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

In 20 years in Cyprus I've nver had a licence for my dogs (apart from the first year when i didn't know better). Our dogs never go out - only on a lead and we live in the countryside.

We've spent these years picking up I don't know how many dogs, starving usually. We've had to euthanase and bury so many. So I don't see why i should give money to authorities who don't enforce the Dog Law and while irresponsible breeding and abandoning continues.

Look at the sad stories every day at the dog shelters.

Seems a shame it's the people who care for their dogs who have to pay.

Sorry no image available

Ok Johners,

I will call them and see, and yes I will give Mutley a pat for you...................

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi again Cyp08

For the sake of €21 I'd go through the process of getting Mutley a licence. Have a chat with the District Vets Office and go from there. Should the powers that be ever decide to check these things, unlikely I know, at least you are playing by the rules.

As for constant barking and dogs disturbing others there is a post somewhere on this site that talked about just that. Again it could be difficult to get the authorities involved.

Give Mutley a pat from me.

Johnners

Sorry no image available

`Mutley` is actually her name.
She was a stray, so how do I go about it now?
I will give them a call anyway.

I often wonder if everyone gets Dog Licences for their dogs, that includes both Foreingers and Cypriots. So if I had a dog that constantly annoys us by barking, day and night, can we complain.
Also, because our dog never leaves the premises we live in, because she cannot walk very well, due to be possibly thrown out of a car/lorry and has busted back legs, also is scared of cars, etc, would we still need to get her a dog licence.
We have had her for 15 mths now, and never knew we needed a licence.

Sorry no image available

Hi Cyp08,

John, our neighbour, has just handed me the phone number of the Limassol Vet Office 25 81 95 12. Don't know why he had it as he registered his 'Mutley' in Paphos.

Johnners

Sorry no image available

HI Cyp08,

Assuming your 'Mutley' has all the correct paperwork, proof of micro chipping etc, go to the Limassol Veterinary Service office and the fee of €20.52 is payable (I just asked my neighbour for the figure) he paid recently.

Johnners