DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dog Lovers Must read it

Posted by ideaz - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by dlss-668570 - 8 years ago

Well, part of being a good dog owner is exercising your pets. Especially if you have to go to work during the day, having a safe and fun place to exercise your dog either before or after work is particularly helpful. Neighbors are much less likely to be disturbed by a well-exercised, tired dog than a bored dog that is full of energy. So I think a dog beach, park, walking path, and other similar places are not silly at all. Also, if there are more designated dog-friendly places to go, then those who are afraid of dogs don't have to go to these places and would be less likely to run into people walking their dogs. I have to say, most dogs that are being taken care of and exercised are the ones who are friendly and well-behaved. When a dog bites somebody, it is usually because they have not had the proper socialization. What would be more useful is to educate people about how to socialize and interact with their animals and improve access to training, especially for first-time dog owners. Ironically, it is usually those animals who are not walked and who do not meet a variety of people on a regular basis who are most likely to bite, no matter what size they are. When dogs are well-trained, they are a joy to have as part of the family and are much less likely to be abandoned at shelters as well. And what about having professional dog trainers teach children in schools about the proper way to interact with animals? As someone with a small dog that I walk regularly, I can't tell you how often I have people run up to my dog and try to pet her on the top of her head; this is an aggressive move in the dog world. Dogs want to sniff you before you pet them. This is how they say hello in dog language. And you should always ask the dog's owner for permission before approaching a dog and give them the opportunity to say, no, my dog doesn't really like to meet people on its walk or yes, my dog loves to meet everybody! I do think that it would be interesting to know where the money goes that we pay to register our pets with the municipality. Shouldn't some of that money go to animal welfare groups? Maybe training and vaccinations should be part of the dog registration process; then you would have to commit to training your dog when you buy or adopt it and that would encourage people to take this decision more seriously. Of course, this would require that those who do not register their dogs be punished with stiff fines. One way to ensure that more dogs are registered would be to give pet owners a small, distinctive tag to display on a dog's collar. This would also help to assure the general public that the dog that they see going for a walk with this special tag on its collar has been trained and registered and is up-to-date with its vaccinations. In this way, we could start to change people's attitudes about dogs by helping to calm their fears. I think it would also be nice to start seeing service animals in Cyprus--guide dogs for the blind and dogs trained to help the disabled. These animals and other working dogs are an important tool used in the EU and the USA, yet I have never seen one here in Cyprus. The best way to improve the conditions for dogs in Cyprus is to start publicly demonstrating what loving and useful members of society our K9 companions can be; not by hiding them away.