DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

feralstat

Posted by elleni - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by antmarc - 9 years ago

This is true and many people do not know that this is offered by the district veterinary services. I would suggest taking your female cats first to be spayed and then work your way down the males afterwards.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CMJG2010-694268 - 9 years ago

Hi there

Sorry but I don't know anybody at that end of the island. Several things you can do. First of all ask different vets if they'd give a reduced price for sterilising feral cats. You'd be surprised how many do want to and do help feral cats and will give a discount. Once you have an idea of price ask other animal charities, people etc if they can help finance sterilising the cats, some can and will help. To catch the really feral cats ask Paphiakos if you can hire/borrow a trap, they do provide them for people who want to trap. If nobody comes up with any funds hold a coffee morning, a fund raiser of some sort to try and help.

These ideas do work but you have to work at them. I know they work because I have been doing them for a few years now at the other end of the island. Hope this information is of use to you. And good luck and thank you for wanting to help the stray cats.

C

Sorry no image available
Posted by elleni - 9 years ago

Thank you for that,I'll give it a try.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

phone your local DVO. Did you know there is a law in Cyprus where people can sterilize 2 cats a year for free/almost peanuts. Contact you DVO, and request vouchers and find out which of the local vets are on the programme! be very persistant with this because sometime they play stupid but it is a law and I know 3 people that have done this. Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by elleni - 9 years ago

Thank you for your reply

Would you know the least expensive place I could have 1 cat and 5 kittens sterilised,though I'm not sure if I can catch the mother+ the12 other feral cats I feed which I know I cant catch.

We live in the Paralimni area and any advise would be useful.

many thanks Elleni

Sorry no image available
Posted by CMJG2010-694268 - 9 years ago

Hi there

I think it's a good idea in theory but not practice. Contraception is not 100% the money paid for the medication would be better used to sterilise feral cats. Sterilisation is the only option.