DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help, 2 chihuahuas in same house

Posted by thisislondon - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by thisislondon - 8 years ago

Thank you very much for your comment, it was very insightful. Last year I remember seeing a pamphlet in my vet's office and I did enquired, as my dog has history of separation anxiety and they use it for it too but he -again- went against it saying it won't work...I really think he is not into these new stuff but he doesnt give me any choices to solve the problem, maybe what I need to do is just go to another vet to try my options. I am in Limassol, so if you could email me about the product name if you know it would be fantastic. And maybe a vet number's too ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flump-668600 - 8 years ago

Hi thisislondon,

I was thinking that if the op is not an option you wish to pursue at the moment, there are other options depending how up to date with drugs etc your vet is. There is a relatively newish drug which is given by injection and acts like chemical castration so has all the benefits but is not permanent. We sometimes use this when people are undecided, kind of a taster as to whether the reasons for which you are considering surgery would improve or not.

The other suggestion is that you could try some of the anti-stress type products. behaviourists these days are moving away from the alpha male/dominance theories and it's actually thought now that most "dominant" dogs are actually behaving in this way becuase they are quite fearful or insecure. This would make sense in the case of a dog being moved into a new environment where another dog already lives, or for a dog who has had his home invaded by a newcomer. There is a product available (which I won't name on here but I have seen it in a couple of the more forward thinking veterinary practices over there) which is synthetically produced doggy pheromones, available as a plug-in or collar for them to wear (probably more effective in a country where you have the doors and windows open much of the time as the plug-in won't get chance to build up for optimal effect) or a spray. There are also stress relievers in the form of tablets, NOT sedatives but just over the counter ones.

Depending which part of Cyprus you live in, there are certainly a couple of vets I am aware of from my visits over there who stock this these ranges and they aren't on prescription so you could make enquiries even if your own vet doesn't stock them. If you want any more info, feel free to email me and I can point you in the direction of some websites.

Sorry no image available

yes flump, this is kind of the issue I have as well. He is a good vet and all but I have been asking about neutering for a while and he still insists not to do it... back home- Canada they insist for me to neuter them...I have a big dilemma and have to figure it soon! :)

Sorry no image available

I'm guessing that your vet is basing his decision on medical advice only and is not a canine behaviourist as well as a vet. This is not in any way a criticism as I know vets in Cyprus don't have access to as much of the up to date information, seminars, facilities and ideas as in some other places and that's fair enough. My advice/suggestion was only based on what we would do here in practice in the UK, and as someone working for a vet who is both surgeon and behaviourist. As certain people are very good at pointing out to me on this forum (which has led to several of my posts being removed for not being relevant, even though they contained valid opinions), you are NOT in the UK and this IS a Cyprus forum but I just wanted to explain why I had advised as I did - based on knowledge of animals, not of the country. I hope your little doggies settle down in time and become happier. Good luck with them ;-)

Sorry no image available

Thank you Chihuahua Lady, it was great advise for someone with so many of them, you are right they are lovely. Who knows what this dog went through, he already bit my face without any provocation, from licking my face to a bite! I had been noticing the humping it is going down, the new fella is definately the dominant, he also marked the house but I had been watching and it stopped all suddendly. He also gets bother by us showing attention to the other doggie.

As for the previous info about neutering the dogs, I visited the vet this week and he went against it, I knew I had asked before that is why I remember what he said that because both dogs are already old enough, bad habits - like marking the furniture will most likely not go away anyways, maybe the humping but in any case they will eventually stop it too, so even when is a small surgery, he said such benefits of prostate cancer,etc will not make any difference now...I don't know what to believe now! Some vets are here to make money too so they may just advise it even with little benefits...Of course my hubby was happy to hear I may not neuter them, he feels bad for his little man to lose his manly touch ;P

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chihuahua Lady - 8 years ago

Hi

I have 12 Chihuahua's Boy's and Girls but i have had all my boy's castrated. The Bonking and the marking the there territory is a Dominance thing it will slow down if you keep telling them know. You just have to persevere with them.Keeping them apart will just make it worst when they come to gether.

If you have them castrated most of it will stop.But it may take up to 3 months be for there hormones are out off there system but they will live in harmony.They are lovely little dogs.

Sorry no image available

I guess misinformation, somebody told me it's not safe to neuter them after they are about 2 years old.

Thanks for the advise, I may look into neuter him, at least the young one seen he seems to be the one trying to mark his new territory.

Sorry no image available

Am curious as to why you say they are too old to be neutered? Dogs can be neutered at any age and if you're worried about the safety of the anaesthetic, ask the vet to do a pre-anaesthetic blood test to put your mind at rest (checks out kidney and liver function).

Sorry no image available
Posted by CoupeBabe - 8 years ago

Neutering them may stop the peeing, unless it has become a habit instead of just a male, scent-marking kind of thing !!!! As for the humping - neutering should stop that. It also prevents testicular tumours & prostate problems incidentally

Sorry no image available

They have not showed this behaviour yet, but Im afraid they are too old to be neutered, 7 and 4 y.o. just the humping thing lol