DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help - transport of pets to the UK

Posted by cleo13 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flump-668600 - 8 years ago

My little rescue dog from Cyprus recently flew into Manchester and was received by Pets on Jets who deal with incoming animals. Their website is very helpful and they were brilliant with him (www.petsonjets.co.uk) and has a frequently asked questions section which may be of help. Your local vet in Cyprus should also be able to advise you re the costs of microchips, rabies vaccinations and blood tests and pet passports.

I haven't dealt with the paperwork myself in Cyprus although know all about passports from being a veterinary nurse here in the UK. Initially, your pets will need to be microchipped and have a rabies vaccination. Then 2-4wks later (depending on the brand of vaccine they use over there), a blood test is done to confirm that the vaccination has taken (9 times out of 10 it does but occasionally the vaccine has to be given a second time and then repeat blood test done - this is no fault of the vaccine company or vet, just means that the antibody level isn't high enough). Once the blood test is confirmed as being ok, the passport can be issued. For many European countries, pets can then fly immediately however the UK has a rule whereby six months must have passed before the pet can be allowed entry into the UK (ie the whole process will take about 7mths from date of vaccination). Your pets will also need a vet health check no more than 48hrs before they leave Cyprus and will be treated for ticks (usually with a spot-on product). This is also recorded in the passport.

Regarding crates, they must be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in and have a the facility for water to be given (open fronted is fine but I'd go for one where you can fill a dish from outside, especially for the cat, so there is no need for anyone to open the crate unless they decide to carry out a security check as this reduces the risk of escapes!) Pets on Jets can advise you regarding exact crate sizes.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.