DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How the Olmypics help solve stray animal problems

Posted by Catsnip - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

You may wish to check out MADDIES FUND. They are on top of the problem in the US. The solution is threefold: rehome, neuter, educate.

All three must work together. In the past I had thought Cyprus was ideal to apply for funding for this, but they insist all the players must work together and, sadly, it was all fighting between the various orgs. Maybe it's changed now.

Anyway, you can google Maddys Fund to see some hopeful, organised solutions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

I am a volunteer, I love animals and want to help them, I have always volunteered for non-kill shelters, for over 10 years now. however being recent witness to how non-kill shelters are now facing to actually euthanize animals because of an apparent population problem it is psychologically taking a toll for me. This is not something I want to be part of...but how can I walk away from the animals that need me? Not everyone can tolerate euthanisia and I am one of them.......something needs to be done, Im fed up of how all this is affecting me.

And trust me, I am not the only volunteer who feels like this!

Sorry no image available
Posted by seebee-678990 - 9 years ago

Nothing more to say, but I agree with you wholeheartedly

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flump-668600 - 9 years ago

I agree Russell

People are often quick to jump on the negatives rather than the positives of these situations. Having worked as manager of a large rescue and rehoming shelter in the UK for several years, I was forced to make decisions I did not like but what are the other options, to turn away new animals in order to avoid what is sometimes inevitable? Charities the world over face the same problems and my experience here in the UK was no different. Those charities who claim they never euthanase a healthy animal must have to refuse to take in large numbers as they all become full eventually and this just passes the burden onto those charities who have a policy of rehoming those they can, some simply get overlooked for yearsthrough no fault of their own, just because they are too large, not the prettiest etc. And then when the shelters are full or refuse to accept more incoming animals, you get up in the morning and find them tied to your front gate anyway and so the cycle goes on. The only answer is education and neutering. Until the volume of unwanted animals slows, the cycle will never stop. I think that the number of animals these charities rehome is amazing (although would obviously love it to increase further) and yes, in an ideal world, there would be no strays, no euthanasia etc but the staff and volunteers at all of the animal charities in Cyprus (and elsewhere) devote their time for little or no pay to helping strays and no one likes making rotten decisions but sometimes it has to be done. Anger should be directed at those who cause or add to the problem, not those doing their best to help. Sad fact of life.