DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Issues with a caged dog

Posted by joana-673934 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by joana-673934 - 8 years ago

Thank you all, for the info!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anna007 - 8 years ago

I wouldn't hold out much hope with the DVO however that is the correct procedure and you are entitled to call back to find out what they are doing about the case.I will also say that confidentiality is not a forte here either so be careful.
There is no law which states how many dogs you can own as long as you have licences for them.
The Municipality cannot show you any written law in regard to a number because there isn't one!! (Classed as a By-law,none exists).
The rule of 2 dogs only refers to Hunters accompanied by only 2 on a Hunt, and the same for Shepherds.
If dog(s)are causing a nuisance you have to have 2 witnesses to prove that the dogs are a nuisance...then you go through the Municipality to complain.
If it is during the night curfew hours of 23.00pm to 07.00am when the dogs bark, you can call out the Police who have to respond straight away and if the matter is taken to court the Police give their report.
Another curfew noise free time is in July and August I think between 14.00 and 16.00pm as a Siesta time. Due to more people working they do not have an all year siesta time now.
However the law is not clear on how to define a nuisance other than if you were standing on the public road and heard someone's dog barking then that is classed as a nuisance,and of course being Cyprus...many are confused how far this rule is taken.
Incessant and resounding noise is actually the nuisance, but just barking at your front gate can be constituted as a nuisance in Cyprus, despite the fact in British law you have to have proper taping equipment from the local council to decide noise levels and length of time to even be submitted to court!
I have been through all this personally.

Sadly,as governed by the District Vet Government Offices in Cyprus they are allowed cages but they have to comply with the law.
Up to 12 kg the area has to be 1.6m squared x 3.8m squared
12-16 kg 2.0m 4.0m sq
16-20kg 2.2m 5.0m sq
20-24kg 3.2m 6.0m sq
24-28kg 3.6m 7.0m sq
28kg 4.0m 8.0m sq
You can contact the local CVA which is Cyprus Voice for Animals, info@cva.com and they will help to direct you before you take on proceedings as was done to me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stella.c - 8 years ago

the tel no would be helpful,thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GATA-675324 - 8 years ago

25819512 is one of the numbers of goverment vet

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Hi

It's not 'muckta' it's 'mukhtar' - a Tirkish word. But he is not responsible.

Gata is right. The local District Veterinary Officer (DVO) is responsible under the law. He has to inspect and tell the owner what to do. If the owner doesn't, then he is supposed to bring the police.

Also, these people are probably breaking the law because they must have a dog licence, and are not allowed to keep six dogs.

I will get the name and phone no of the Limassol DVO, if you live in Limassol.

Sorry no image available

He is the head of the village employed by the government.

Sorry no image available
Posted by joana-673934 - 8 years ago

Stella, what is muchta?

Sorry no image available

I have a cypriot neighbour who keeps( I don't really know but sounds like at least 6 dogs),in a small shed,he doesn't live at the house and someone comes twice a day,they never come out,and bark alot,I did complain to our muchta,he moved a couple of the dogs but they seem to be back,is there anything else I can do?

Sorry no image available
Posted by GATA-675324 - 8 years ago

hi

the law says that they allow to have dog in a cage (depends how big is your dog...how big will be your cage)...but need also cover area and play area in the same sq.m. they ask (lets say 15sq.m. per dog)

you can call to your area goverment office and tell them the exact address and number so they will go to check it. ask them when they are supposed to go so u will call them back to see the update...