DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

"New" dangerous tick-borne diseases for dogs

Posted by stellaluna-664983 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendyvankuijk - 9 years ago

Dear Stellaluna,

Bravo to you for raising this subject and going all the way to find out more about it.

I have 9 rescue dogs now and the ticks are indeed a problem... I am now feeding a rescue horse... she was covered in Ticks (large ones with stripey legs?) Never seen these on the dogs before... they move very fast... horrible things.

I have removed and killed them all.

If you get an expert to come and talk about the situation. Please let me know. I'd be thrilled to listen & learn.

Thank you,

Wendy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

http://marvistavet.com/html/body_ehrlichia_infection_in_dogs.html

The link above gives some info on symptoms. Not easy to spot though. All power to your organisation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

Please post your ideas - if it's about zoonosis (from animals to humans) or between species (dogs-cats-whatever). Then we can get the appropriate experts.

On a personal basis I feel quite lost and vulnerable.

Lets get the knowledge we need quickly to protect our angels either furry or non-furry.

Sorry no image available

Well Catmeister - you raise another important point so cat ticks must be part of this symposium. It's so complicted that other parasites are parasites on ticks themselves. temperature plays a big role and as we know we are going to rocket because of climate warming. Really we need expert advice re our furry friends.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

What symptoms would you expect to see in an infected animal?

What steps should you take if you suspect Ehrlichia canis ?

Thankyou.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

if its a cat and dog household, can the cats get these ticks from the dogs?

Sorry no image available

Yes, Steff, I should have mentioned the dangers to ourselves, and of course if you have children, you love your dogs, but your children have to be absolutely safe to cuddle them etc. Mine sleep in my bed.

It's not like the UK where we could have fleas but ticks are unknown. What I've discovered is that the breeding cycle is complex with hosts 1,2 and 3. Moulting, eggs etc.

I promise we will do our best to bring this knowledge to Cyprus.

By the way we are ARC (Animal Responsibility Cyprus) www.animalscyprus.org

Sorry no image available
Posted by steffnixon - 9 years ago

I would be very interested in learning more on this subject. As a dog owner and parent of young children who now cannot remember life without our chums, I would love the opportunity to lose the ignorance I have on the matter...I also believed that frontlining worked on any tics. If there are other precautions I need to be taking , I want to know!