DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

poison

Posted by Gladders - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

I was chatting with a cypriot friend the other day and we came to the agreement that animal cruelty is seen far more in Cyprus than say, the UK because of three major things:

1. Cyprus is smaller and therefore one would see more cruelty cases.

2. There is no animal police. The authorities dont penalize enough or at all. We once had the CSPCA (like RSPCA) but seems to have disappeared.

3. Lack of education in this area.

But there are crazy cypriots like us who are trying to make a difference, even though most will see us as "crazy" but there are more of us cropping up here and there who can hopefully help make difference to the situation. But we also need everyone else's support otherwise we are just seen as a bunch of crazy liberal animal loving cypriots who are shouting on their own and no-one listening.

Sorry no image available
Posted by maid marian-667424 - 9 years ago

The one and only reason we returned to the UK was because of all of the cruelty we saw regarding animals. We are animal lovers and we were fed up and saddened by the amount of dogs that were abandoned and mistreated. If only they would realise that a dog is not a dirty animal as some of the Cypriots seem to believe but loving animals who only want to be loved and to please people then hopefully that would make a difference, but I doubt it. I was once told that the older Cypriots used to tell their children that dogs were filthy and that is what they felt however in all fairness I did see some Cypriots at the vets I went to with lovely dogs and it was clear that they were loved. Perhaps they need educated about animals but will that ever happen? I read the Anglo Info everyday and I am still heartbroken at some of the stories I read regarding animals. Perhaps one day it will change but I do doubt it very much. I shall pray for the animals.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gladders - 9 years ago

I am sorry to hear of your distressing experience just for walking your dog. I can understand it if you hadn't cleaned up after your dog which I am sure is not the case. I cannot undertand the mentality of the Cypriots it is illegal to walk your dog but ok to dump rubbish everywhere. I seems to me they would love to have a dog free island but living among piles of garbage is so much better. Are you aware there should be a designated dog walking area, if you don't know where it is ask at the local municipality, good luck with that one as no one in the Pegeia area knows where ours is but by law???? Cypriot law that is , as they have banned dogs from everywhere they have to allow an area for dogs.

It is such a shame, we moved here to enjoy our life after working hard in a steelworks and a manual job all our life, we wanted the nice weather and have always like the Greek and Cypriot people but since moving here we have felt so unwelcome especially with our dogs. We are now contemplating going back to the UK. That is another story tho and is going off this thread.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mummyof4 - 9 years ago

I have just been nearly fined for walking on the path near the beach in Pissouri and fined for having no dog licence, which I never knew anything about it.

I was told not to walk on the path by I later found out, a council worker.

Who then went to police station and came back with a police man and stopped me on the main road walking home.

He fined me for no dog licence and later let me of about walking on the path near the beach.

I later found out the council worker went to the local school to speak to my son as I had been walking with another women, and council worker had wanted to find out who this other women was.

I then went to see the Muctar, sorry if spelling not right who was lovely and really helpful. It was all sorted and I now have a dog licence and will never walk near the beach again, but all of this was about my dog, which I find totally disgusting that people can speak to children that they dont know and I was made to feel like a villain. All cause I wanted to walk my beautiful rescue dog on one of the paths that are near to our yet again beautiful beaches.

Sorry no image available

you're right it's not just dogs but all the wildlife too, I hope the cat you feed does turn up I will be thinking of it now, I hope it is ok and it's kits are ok. What a horrible way to die,mother poisoned and the babies starve to death uuggghhh, Why can't people have compassion for all animals instead of being cruel. Give me animals anytime......

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

its not just the dogs that suffer from the wrath of individuals setting out poison but also the cats and other wildlife. I largely suspect one of the stray cats I feed (also recently had kittens but no-one idea where her nesting area is) was recently subject to poison as its been over 1 month since Ive seen her and usually she would appear at least once a week for feeding.

Sorry no image available

Dogs are lovely and should be treated with love as that is all you get from them. Rescue dogs amaze me as it doesn't matter how badly they have been treated they still give you unconditional love. I know there have been rogue dogs but there are more rogue people on the planet that should be put down. We spoil our dogs but I see nothing wrong in it. Life would be awful without them and the world a much sadder place. The emotion and love that our dogs show tells us they know exactly what is going on, they certainley know how to work us.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by maid marian-667424 - 9 years ago

We have a cocker a terrier cross and a cypriot poodle and we wouldn't change them. They were dumped and they are all wonderful. The cocker has immune problems and is on steroids but this goes back to the way she had been treated before we had her. We were only back here a few days and we were out walking them and we were stopped several times and asked if we would sell them! We said NO. They are our babies. We have them groomed every 6 weeks........................costs more for one of them then it does for my hair to be washed and set but who cares it keeps them all lovely. They all loved to be cuddled and you ahve guessed it they are all spoiled rotten! They had never been with children as far as we knew but they are wonderful with our 10 grandchildren especially the cross terrier. She follows the youngest one everywhere. It is Dog Trust that we support as well.

Sorry no image available

You're right things are the same in the uk and altho we are in Cyprus now we still pay to the Dogs Trust in the UK and we have said if and when we return to the UK we will rescue a dog from here and take it home with us and our two Cockers.

Sorry no image available

That is a very good point and I agree with you, penalise the ones at fault and don't make everyone pay for the morons that don't clean up. As the saying goes in the UK 'Pick up or pay up'.