DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Share tips for keeping dogs happy in this heat

Posted by stellaluna-664983 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pkb1 - 8 years ago

I'm glad my recomendation has helped your pets, just to add, it is safe for all animals even horses, the fact it drops their temperature relieves any itching so skin problems naturally improve.....i think Petzstuff [ both shops] are the only ones who stock it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mystic - 8 years ago

I thought I would give an update to this post for anyone who like me, had not heard of using rock sulphur for their pets. We got the rock sulphur from Petz Stuff in Episkopi who ordered it specially for us because they were out of stock, its a great shop where we bought many other things at very low prices.

I have been putting the rock sulphur in their drinking water for some time now, and have seen a vast improvement in the dog who was having skin problems due to heat, as well as the cat who didn't have such problems however she was generally suffering with the heat. The cat seems to have far more energy now, not so much during the daytime, but she really comes to life at night! The dog has improved skin and fur condition, and has stopped itching, his overall health seems to have improved a great deal, and he is eating better. The rock sulphur cost just 3.50 euros, and I reccommend trying it now whilst the weather is still very hot if your pets seem to be suffering.

Sorry no image available
Posted by l2ahl - 8 years ago

try a misting system for the dogs but also can use in the garden for you as well, it cools the air with water no chemicals or tricks just a pump and water into a system to dispense as a fine mist keeps dust down and flies away as well so everyone is happy not just you dog, i have one installed for my mum who has four dogs out here and they love it to bits both mum and the dogs. call me 99904146 or GreenG1.com

Sorry no image available

Just to add that it has taken some time, however I had a phone call today to say that my order for rock sulphur has arrived! I tried many many places to get this stuff, and the only place I found that sold it was Petz Stuff, you can see their listing on AngloInfo here.. http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/af/243/cyprus-dogs-cats-pets-and-animals.html

They have been very helpfull, as well as friendly and polite. I can reccommend them for your pets needs. When I inquired with them initially to buy rock sulphure, they were out of stock, but they immediately ordered some more stock (from UK I presume).

Thanks again to all who gave tips and advice on this thread, as well as to stella luna for starting it. I hope that the rock sulphur will now bring some much needed relief for our little dog.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Currylover - 8 years ago

I already use Advantix on my small dog but, whilst it works better than Frontline, I have still found the odd tick? :(

Advantix is supposed to clear ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies such as sandfleas and lice so seems to be a far better coverage than Frontline.

I usually wash the dog and leave her for a day and then apply Advantix but I'm now finding that it really is only efficient for about a fornight if that!

Sorry no image available
Posted by helen13-662685 - 8 years ago

I use a Chillow for both me and the dogs they are wonderful. They are worth every penny. I keep them in the fridge and we all take one to bed. They are also good for putting on the knee to keep cool.and for hot flushes. I got mine off Ebay but they are available in paphos

http://www.bedlinencyprus.com/bedlinen/cyprus/the-chillow-pillow.html

helen

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Great info - especially K9 Advantix!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dlss-668570 - 8 years ago

When my Cyprus poodle was a puppy, I would soak a washcloth in water, place it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Once it was frozen, I would give it to her to chew on. Works well both for teething and for cooling off and tends to be a little less messy than ice cubes. I noticed that she would sleep on top of the wet washcloth so I started making damp hand towels (she's a small dog) and putting them on the floor for her to sleep on, which seems to work well. You can also fill kongs with low-fat peanut butter and freeze them.
As for walks, we wait until it cools off in the evening to take our walks, and we switched from Frontline to K9 Advantix; no ticks since then! In fact, I actually watched a tick jump off my dog! It's also good to take some water with you for the walk. I take a cold bottle of water with the sport cap, and my dog learned very quickly to lick the cap as I squeeze out a little water. You can also use a water bottle for a hamster cage in the same way and then you don't have to try to control the drips; the dog just licks and the water comes out.
Hope these tips help!

Sorry no image available
Posted by pkb1 - 8 years ago

thank you for your thanks!....lol

always happy to help with any dog info.........contact me anytime!

Sorry no image available

Thanks again pkb1, you've been very helpfull. I have found Petzstuff website and will contact them. I have learned a lot about what to do, and what I shouldn't be doing with dogs from this thread. I also researched about rock sulphur, and have found some interesting information which could explain why the dog is constantly scratching (even though no fleas or ticks are evident), and why he has been off his food. I beleive using the rock sulphur should help with this. I have a lot to learn about how to best care for a dog, and all posts on here have been extremely helpful. Many thanks.