DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Veterinary nurse training

Posted by bek - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flump-668600 - 8 years ago

I also have teaching experience - I wish I knew how to get one of the colleges over there to start up animal care/veterinary nurse training courses as that would have a big impact on education re animal cruelty and would also give me a great job to relocate for (which is the reason I haven't yet as I can't afford to live on those wages alone!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flump-668600 - 8 years ago

Hi Rebecca

I am a Registered Veterinary Nurse in the UK but have researched this in depth as I am heavily involved with fundraising for an animal charity in Cyprus and plan to move over there eventually.

At present, there is no formal veterinary nursing training or qualification in Cyprus which is why UK nurses seem to be fairly sought after when they relocate although with salaries being what they are in Cyprus, the few practices around who are willing to pay for a qualified nurse are still only offering around half of an average UK nurse's salary and it's a notoriously underpaid job over here in the first place for the training we have undergone and the hours we are expected to work. Having said that, over the past couple of years, I have been offered 3 different jobs in practice in Cyprus, all offering around 7-800 euros per month, but I'm qualified with 23yrs experience and additional experience/qualifications in other related fields.

However, from a practical point of view, this could work in your favour as most practices in Cyprus seem to employ suitable people who they train on the job so unlike the UK (where many practices only want qualifieds), you probably have more chance of getting a foot in the door. My advice would be to perhaps look at a correspondence course in animal care (of which there are many) and that way it would give you a head start on a theory level and also show any potential employer that you are serious and mean you have more to offer them than someone with no knowledge. I would also write to as many practices as you can find - I don't know whether they are any good at keeping people on file over there but it's often he (or she!) who shouts loudest so maybe even go in and speak to the vets in your local practices - I've always found them to be very approachable when I've done it.

Good luck and if you want any further info or advice, feel free to post or pm me.