DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wild dogs, Le Meridian area

Posted by catmeister212 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

I agree Bertie. I totally agree. The same is at all shelters.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ade-661265 - 9 years ago

The problem is so many people are breeding dog.s its just Greed when they know the island is over run with strays. O and these are the people that love animals think they love money more, No doubt this will be removed???

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bertie-662456 - 9 years ago

I do help at both Paws & Sirius but more help is always desperately needed. Not glamorous work but so rewarding, especially when you see a bag of bones come in & gradually they regain their strength, sadly not all of them make it.

I agree that the government needs to address the dire situation, which is now being made worse by the number of Brits who are returning to the UK & ditching their dogs. Their priorities seem to be making sure the important things go with them ie the flat screen televisions, x box & all the things that are so important to them. The poor dogs seem to be very low on the list - if at all!!! Also, if people ignored the many expensive pedigree dogs that are advertised & gave a home to a more needy animal. We regularly have pedigree dogs dumped at the shelter, especially Huskys, obviously when the novelty has worn off.

Sorry no image available

Unfortunately Bertie, this sad fact will continue as more and more sanctuaries are being forced to close down due to lack of funding. The government doesnt fund shelters and unfortunately not enough people support them either (not just financially, but as volunteers)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bertie-662456 - 9 years ago

Hi

I walk my dogs on the rough land to the east of Le Meridien (where new houses are being built, near the power station) I've seen a fairly large black & white dog on several occasions & later another small one joined him. There was also a bitch with a litter of 9 puppies which I managed to rescue (they were able to feed themselves - just) & took them to Paws where thankfully 5 of them have been homed. Wasn't able to get Mum & haven't seen her since, perhaps she's joined up with the others which inevitably will mean another litter of puppies.

I stopped taking my dogs to the scrub land at the back of Ladys Mile during August as I was finding another abandoned dog every other day (1 of which we've kept, along with our 3 others). I find this the saddest aspect of life here in Cyprus.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JCGX-689138 - 9 years ago

To say the dogs won't attack adults if they're left alone is not true. We lived in Athens and as I was walking through a Plateia three dogs attacked me for no reason at all. Fortunately I had a bag to swing at them, I had to go onto the road into the traffic to avoid them. I can assure you it was a very scary frightening experience one barking and snapping at the front and two at my back. My bag hit one on the head and it backed off and then I chased them!!! Do not think these dogs won't attack, when they're in a pack they act totally different. From my own experience I know they can attack.

Sorry no image available

This issue came to my attention and I wanted more details before I contacted CVA. I heard that the authorities didnt or couldn't do anything. I also heard that they had killed quite a few cats in the area. Obviously the dogs were abandoned and to surrive they formed into packs and are now causing havoc in the area. I think if people pretty much left the dogs alone they wont attack adults, but small animals and children are more at risk.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Catsnip - 9 years ago

Not sure if it is the same pack, but their is a group of 12 plus dogs in Paraklesha that have killed two pet cats belonging to a supporter of catsnip. they apparently are around all the time but starting barking and running amuck at midnight.

Although we don't deal with dogs we advised ringing the Police, the Government vet and speaking to the village office. If this fails then speak to the newspapers and tv stattions.

We are told that the Government vet was very helpful and has dog traps similar to the cat traps we use (dog walks in door shuts behind him her) that can be loaned to village for a refundable deposit.

Police attended and handed responsibility over to village dog catcher, who is apparently a nice guy who clears up road kill. He called the dogs but they ignored him and as he only has a small family car (Micra type) he wasn't clear as to what he can do if he actually catches one.

Our supporter is at a loss as what to do and is concernerd for all pet owners and the risk to adults and children. She is contacting Cyprus Voice for Animals for guidance and the local press.

Russell